Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$190.58

6 Donations:
$309.42

Death.FM (Jun-26) docbaily $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Jun-18) epsi42 $20.00
Death.FM (Jun-16) LordAmarth $5.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Jun-13) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Jun-13) swissdeath $5.00
Death.FM (Jun-1) SeclusionSolution $249.42

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-27) Locutus76 $50.00
Adagio.FM (May-21) danico $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Fave literature
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
South Korea misanthrone
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 1992

misanthrone is offline View user's profile Send private message View misanthrone's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:25 pm   Post subject: Fave literature Reply with quote

I guess anyone here likes to read, from time to time at least..if not, U should!Grin what kind of literature do U prefer and who are your fave writers?..
I personally love drama/theatre , my heroes being Shakespeare and Moliere..
but I also love Baudelaire, Voltaire, Cervantes, Corneille, Sienkiewicz.. and many others.. how about U people?
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2916

zarqun is offline View user's profile Send private message zarqun's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends
I used to read a lot of religious texts (I read the bible, the koran, the talmud and a lot of hinduistic and buddhistic papers)
besides of that I read in encyclopedias (I already do that since I was very little, it's something that never loses my interest)
I also read things like you misa: Voltaire, Shakespeare, Molière,...
I read National Geographic Magazine and Eos

and all the books I read are mostly fantasy: Weiss & Hickmann, Feist, Eddings, Kerr, Tolkien, Hobb and many more...
And to be boy eternal.
Germany Dami
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly religious and religion-critical material but I also like to read about varied themes which come to my mind... example: last time i read about the common german wasp (Vespula vulgaris).

When it comes to fantasy literature it is mostly Hohlbein & Pratchett.
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
France yvesson
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 2524

yvesson is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website yvesson's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hej,
I don't read books, imo fictionnal stories are useless, and way less entertaining in a book than a movie or video game.
So no litterature.

Though I read a lot about politics and economy, but mostly in newspapers cause there are already so much to read there.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a lot. Anything and everything, whatever has my attention at the moment (except Shakespeare, I HATE that crap). History, philosophy, all kinds of fiction, it doesn't matter. Through the years science fiction and fantasy has always been a favorite, I have hundreds, maybe thousands of books, most of them science fiction. Right now I'm almost done with LOTR for probably the 15th time.
Spain zarqun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2916

zarqun is offline View user's profile Send private message zarqun's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

there are very few books I re-read.
I don't forget fiction books...
The only books I would ever re-read: Ring Of Eternity by John C. Vermeulen (Ring van Eeuwigheid in Dutch) or The Death Gate Cycle by Weis & Hickman [1.Dragon Wing, 2. Elven star, 3. Fire Sea, 4. Serpent Mage, 5. The Hand Of Chaos, 6. Into The Labyrinth, 7. The Seventh Gate] and the cycles of Hobb [The Farseer Trilogy, The Liveship Traders Trilogy and The Tawny Man Trilogy]
And to be boy eternal.
Brazil Pesadelo RIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 3090

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Pesadelo's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic, Misa. Smile

Most of my reading are philosophical or scientific: Kant, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Wittgenstein, Locke, and Hume are my old pals. On the scientific side, Neuroscience and Evolution Theory are always over my corner table.

But there are some books that must be read. I cite four:

- Poe (Tales of Mystery and Imagination) - scaring
- Erasmus (The Praise of Folly) - hilarious and contemporaneous
- Nietzsche (Human, All Too Human) - truth over truth
- Hemingway (The Old Man and the Sea) - deep

I have to honour Clark and Asimov, the beloved writers of my teenage.
diginferno
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 1771

diginferno is offline View user's profile Send private message View diginferno's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I read everything that catches my attention, both fiction and non-fiction. But I have to admit that I have read lots of SF and fantasy, fave authors being Isaac Asimov, William Gibson, A. E. Van Vogt, Roger Zelazny, Serge Brussolo (this guy writes amazing thrillers and horror SF). I also like Kurt Vonnegut and Chuck Palahniuk. Any many other authors. The last books I've purchased are:

- "Rant" by Chuck Palahniuk
- "Flowers For Algernon" by Daniel Keyes
- "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown
- Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" (the romanian edition also includes "Restaurant At The End Of The Universe", "Life, The Universe And Everything", "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish" and "Mostly Harmless").

42 Peace

.:: ::.
China cherubian
Captain
Captain

Member#: 1184

cherubian is offline View user's profile Send private message cherubian's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I study literary sciences, therefor reading is my business;) and iam mediaevist, meaning old medieval literature. therefore i read a lot of medieval novels like "parzival", "erec", "iwein" and old norse stuff like "njáls saga" "asmundar saga kappabana", "heimskringla" and all this of course in old icelandic language.
Besides that iam a lot into 19th century german literature. I love Stifter, Keller, ETA Hoffmann and I love expressionistic literature like Döblin, Hesse, Ehrenstein, Wolfenstein and others.
For work purposed i also read a lot abpuit Philosophy and my pals are Wittgenstein, Hegel, Kant, Nietzsche, Chomsky, Levi-Strauss, Sartre, Camus, Roland Barthes and many others.
What i cant stand tho are modern fiction novels like Dan Brown, Khoury and all this crap. This just isnt literature anymore;p
actually iam reading all the time and everywhere. Books are very important for me....almost as important as metal

UK Waffen
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 2503

Waffen is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Waffen's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Geography books about countries of the world. Mainly though I read Fantasy Novels by David Gemmell, Raymond E Feist and Stan Nicholls. For education I read books on WWII and Military History (mainly autobiographies).
For fun I read books on the stupidity of the English language (lost in Translation and Private Eye Magazine's 'Colemanballs' books) and the Profanisaurus Rex!!

Fave books of all time:

Legend - David Gemmell
Serpentwar Saga - Raymond E Feist
Profanisaurus Rex - Viz
The joy of Masturbation - Waffen SS
Blood Red Snow - (dunno the authour, great book about Operation Barbarossa)
The Gruffalo - I have read this 1,000 times to my kids!
The Timewaster Letters - Robin Cooper

Peace
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

@Cherubian. How the heck can you read Sartre? LOL I was a philosophy major in college and still can't read his stuff, everyone else, no problem, but fucking Sartre, its opaque to me for some reason. I have tried reading "Being and Nothingness" probably at least a half dozen times, can't get more than a quarter of the way thru it.. Woah
Brazil Pesadelo RIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 3090

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Pesadelo's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

@cherubian: i respect you, man! Smile
@CJ: i'm glad i'm not alone. i hate Sartre and had tried to read the same book two times: "Being a(nd) Wordless" OK!

@Waffen: I like war history too. The History Channel has some good series about it.
madman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2852

madman is offline View user's profile Send private message View madman's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:25 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what I read in my life was either occult or philosophy(or occult philosophy!), but i do prefer metaphysics when it comes to philosophy, like Plotinus for instance.

In occult, you have to read Crowley, Dion Fotune is also great, and many others as well.

When it comes to fiction I do like Poe but my favorite is Lovecraft.
Captain
Captain

Member#: 1184

cherubian is offline View user's profile Send private message cherubian's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

How cant u read Sartre? I actually dun have any problem with reading it. What i cannot read tho is fucking Freud. A totally overrated guy in my opinion. The same as Goethe. totally overrated :p :p :p

Germany Dami
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:45 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah, Lovecraft did some great ... uhmm; how can you call it ??? It is definitely more than "average stories".
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: