Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

The stagnation of extreme metal

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:40 am   Post subject: The stagnation of extreme metal Reply with quote

First of all, let me preface this with the fact that I have been listening to "extreme" or "heavy" music since the late 60s. That being said, I've seen various trends in music come and go (lived through the disco era...somehow), and have lived though times that good music (at least as far as I was concerned) was non-existent, the early to late 80s being a good example of this. When heavy metal from some quarters started to morph into death metal, then early black and extreme doom metal, I started to listen again, that was sometime in the late 80s. Since then there has been some absolutely amazing music produced, late 80s to late 90s death metal, the first and second (especially the second) wave of Norwegian black metal, funeral doom (Thergothon and Skepticism) being the pioneers here. Those types of music have matured, grown, branched out, etc. Some of the branching out and morphing have been dead ends as far as I'm concerned (piggy and grind coming out of death metal and the current wave of depressive black metal being a few), but other changes have produced sub-genres that can be even more interesting than the music that started it all in their genre (some melodic death, death/doom, and some symphonic black).

But, that brings me to the point of this ramble (for those of you with ADD). Extreme metal in the past couple or so years has mostly become stagnant and BORING. Where is the innovation (yes, guys like Ihsahn have tried to innovate, and IMO mostly failed)? Where is that music that when you hear it for the first time you're just blown away and can't stop listening? I can think of only a very small handful of times this has happened to me in the past few years (a finger or two left on just one hand).

So, back to the point. Has extreme metal reached a dead end where the only innovation left is the innovation that just plain sucks? Someone try to clear this up for me. Caution, if you are 16 years old you WILL NOT be able to help, but there are plenty of folks here that have been listening to extreme metal for quite a number of years. I'm not being an elitist or a dick, I am just very disappointed with the umbrella genre of exteme metal and would value the opinions of the folks here.

Memento Mori
PostmasterDCLXVI RIP (subscribed member)
Captain
Captain

Member#: 4680

PostmasterDCLXVI is offline View user's profile Send private message PostmasterDCLXVI's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

all musick has it's golden era and the golden era for extreme metal was the late 80's and early 90's like you said. i have been listening to this form of musick only for 10 years or so, but even today the musick from the golden era is the one that can grab you by the balls and keep your attention. which is why most of the times, the playlist here on dfm is filled with requests from older albums than the more recent ones.

i have never ever really focused on any band being innovative or not. for me the musick has to grab your attention and keep it, so in a way innovation is not a problem for me, but quality is. its not possible for everyone to try being different, only few can be different and even fewer can innovate and pull it off...

those are the thoughts of the master, but hey you asked :-P

Peace
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 1992

misanthrone is offline View user's profile Send private message View misanthrone's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

25 years in the extreme genres and I couldn't agree more. if I'd have to pick a top 10 best albums I could not come up with that many each year. creativity is dying on all aspects of our life, it has been replaced by materialism. we make music/art/sports for MONEY and that's the end of it. so no wonder art is getting more and more superficial (literature is an even better example) and if you're a sports fan you can clearly see nobody gives a shit about anything else BUT money. mankind is going through a global dumb-it-down and for me that's the root cause for everything, including the quality of extreme metal.so I'll stick to the older stuff with the occasional new gem here and there.
take a good look on the streets, people have no spark in their eyes anymore, empty shells enslaved by their own stupidity/greed/vanity.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: