Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Ads between songs

View previous topic :: View next topic 

Would you donate more often/more money to keep DFM (audible) ad free?
yes
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
no
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 10

Hungary htmm
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 2374

htmm is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View htmm's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:20 pm   Post subject: Ads between songs Reply with quote

Hi All,

today the ads between the songs totally shocked me. Was there an announcement which I just missed?
I understand running DFM requires more and more money to run but I don't think it's the best way. I would have preferred to get a "please donate more to avoid ads" mail before the ads were introduced. If it wouldn't worked ads still could have been considered.
If it's too late to disable the ads is it possible to create an ad free stream for RIP members only (with higher bitrate if possible)? For me it would be an instant get but with ads I choose not to listen to DFM.

Anyway the ads are not targeted at all. When I heard them I simply didn't know in which country they are valid. And what is even worse they are totally unrelated but at least annoying. With the current scheme I think DFM will loose the paying advertisers and listeners also.
Djibouti supersmoke RIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 5788

supersmoke is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View supersmoke's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Donations have been decreasing over time for all 24/7 stations. Jeric runs the stations completely out of pocket and what revenue he makes from ads(normal ones) and album purchases through site links do not completely compensate for the expenses.

So in order for him to continue to run the stations without constantly losing money he has to puts ads on the streams themselves. IMO, while noticeable they're not seriously overburdening the streams. Overall, the streams lose a few minutes every hour to ads, which is honestly just fine. What is worse: losing the stations completely, or losing a few minutes every hour?

The date that the ads would be applied to the streams was not known, as the people handling the coding for it did not notify jeric of when they would be starting. That is why they just started up out of the blue with no warning from an admin.

EDIT: It is a testing phase though. If the donation meter is filled more regularly, then Jeric will be happy to remove the ads.
Lieutenant

Member#: 13533

tabh666 is offline View user's profile Send private message View tabh666's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I disabled my adblock on DFM
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The ads on the stream don't bother me, but that's because I only listen to select songs, I don't just listen to the stream (can't take some of the grind and brutal dm). But, I fully understand the expense involved.

Memento Mori
Hungary htmm
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 2374

htmm is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View htmm's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

supersmoke wrote:
Donations have been decreasing over time for all 24/7 stations. Jeric runs the stations completely out of pocket and what revenue he makes from ads(normal ones) and album purchases through site links do not completely compensate for the expenses.

I saw that Sad This is why I think sending out a "please donate" newsletter would be a good starting point.

Also I think it would be good to have a "donation subscription" to make paypal donate automatically in every month. In the most of the time I simply forget to donate - automating it could help DFM to get the money from the unmindful people like me.
Papua Newguinea SeclusionSolution RIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 2031

SeclusionSolution is offline View user's profile Send private message View SeclusionSolution's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Been saying it a long time, don´t just request albums but send them in yourself. I would like to see more voluntary action of members but anonymity makes it easy to duck. I would like to see it addfree but losing the station is worse. I´m on my limits.

UK SummoningEtern...
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10717

SummoningEternalNightMCMX is offline View user's profile Send private message SummoningEternalNightMCMX's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SeclusionSolution wrote:
Been saying it a long time, don´t just request albums but send them in yourself. I would like to see more voluntary action of members but anonymity makes it easy to duck. I would like to see it addfree but losing the station is worse. I´m on my limits.

I'd be happy to send some albums but for the cost of shipping them halfway across the world. The ads don't bother me unduly at their current level.
Commodore

Member#: 2872

Stuka_Kommandant is offline View user's profile Send private message View Stuka_Kommandant's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SeclusionSolution wrote:

THAT^^ is precisely my position Cool ... i could not put it better. THX Seclu Peace
tabh666
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

tabh666 is offline View user's profile Send private message View tabh666's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

new ads today Yuck
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

tabh666 wrote:
new ads today Yuck

Something you just have to put up with in today's Obama economy. The average household income in the USA is down 33% under King barry.

Memento Mori
tabh666
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

yes after several months of donations exceeding 500$, we have ads again without notice or explanation. why continue to donate monthly if ads continue anyways
Lieutenant

Member#: 11245

Bricktop is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Bricktop's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, tabh!
22 Aug 12 - 01:58:31 > lambofsatan666: shut the fuck up and mind your own fucking business you cocksucker Bricktop
USA morbidfan
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 16343

morbidfan is offline View user's profile Send private message View morbidfan's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if there are ads there should be donations coming in. If not then the people in charge may as well change the name to ad.fm. besides I've seen some internet metal station cease to exist because there has been a shortage of funding.
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 5788

supersmoke is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View supersmoke's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there were still some ads enabled after the stations had crashed a few weeks ago. I've notified the admins.
Cadet 3

Member#: 16176

Windsor is offline View user's profile Send private message Windsor's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I love DFM but the ads suck. Maybe increase r.i.p. to $10 or increase the donation meter? The last few months have been over $500 anyways...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: