Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Shoutbox to wide in firefox
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Germany Pyrates
Commander
Commander

Member#: 83

Pyrates is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Pyrates's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:31 pm   Post subject: Shoutbox to wide in firefox Reply with quote

I do use both firefox 2 and 3 (both on linux, though), and both have this problem: The Input field of the clearchat is to wide, so that when typing, quite some letters vanish to the right hand side. If that's easy to fix, I'd be glad (it's not toooo important since I still can undock that thingy and then make that new window big enough).
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 3090

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Pesadelo's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyr, can you post an image of that?

The only way I could simulate it was doing a zoom on FF (pressing CTRL and rolling the mouse middle button).

If this is the case, a CTRL+0 (zero) will bring the browser resolution to its normal (100%).
Germany Pyrates
Commander
Commander

Pyrates is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Pyrates's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe nice idea, but it's not a zoom thingy. Here's a shot:

The size of the input box scales with the size of the browser window. If you want, I can check the size of it versus various sizes of the browser window in detail, but I'll do that only if you need it Smile

Btw I didn't have that problem with ff3 on windows, so it might actually be a settings problem, but I really don't see what I should have done differently ^^
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Pesadelo's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Needless to find the relation between the size of the inputbox and of the browser window.

This is weird. The font size of the nick (vinit) is smaller than the font size of the message (thanks for the song). However, according to the stylesheet, both should have the same size.

Clearly, in the picture you have posted, the white characters are bigger than the red ones. The input box is just following the size of the white characters (the length of the input box is a function of the size of the characters inside it).

LOL, Pyr, wtf this Linux FF is doing to the text?

The Menu..Options screen has a tab Content. This, has a frame Fonts and Colors, that has a button Advanced. Please, go there and "play" with the parameters.
Germany Pyrates
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Naa, I guess that's just a compression thing from jpeg, by looking at it now directly both fonts are indeed of the same size. Look at "undock" under the box, that's the same size as "vinit".

Also, this shot if from a very old firefox 2 on the university computer, strange things might happen here (thank satan we don't still have netscape...).
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, moved the topic to Help forum.

Agree about jpeg distortion. Now at home and in front of a much better monitor, i see what you are saying.

Shit, man, i don't have any Linux to test it Sad

Might a good soul (are there good souls using Linux?) help us? Where are the Troll, DOS, dewbie, weapon, and all those unholly that use this piece of shit?

Mr. Green *read to be spanked by at least 5 unhollies*
Afghanistan DOSphantom
Commander
Commander

Member#: 3904

DOSphantom is offline View user's profile Send private message View DOSphantom's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just use a virtual machine for quickly testing other OSes.
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 1771

diginferno is offline View user's profile Send private message View diginferno's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, it's a matter of HTML/CSS attributes usage combined with the way the browser renders the text input element.

Pesa, please take a look at this topic from the mozillaZine forums and tell me what you think. As far as I could see, our chat uses the "size" attribute of the "input" HTML element and relies on the text style for adequate sizing, which seems to not give the control you would want over the text field. Specifying the input size in a CSS class could eliminate the difference for Firefox browsers (but be careful with IE, since we know that one is allergic to CSS).

*edit: Pyr: as someone explains in the mozillaZine forum, one of your fonts may be corrupted. I also use FF3, but on Windows 2000/XP and I never encountered this behavior. Didn't get the opportunity to test on a Linux machine yet.

.:: ::.
Germany Pyrates
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pesadelo wrote:
Btw, moved the topic to Help forum.

Man, can you believe I actually spent time looking for the right forum? I really need to hang around more LOL

Ok, so this Zine thingy looks of, because I have the problem with both ff2 and ff3 on different computers (both running linux). Also, I just found it this happens with opera on linux as well... hmmmmmmm! I'll toy with the font sizes.
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that was easy: The chat-text is set in the font that is chosen by the option for "Proportional" in firefox, which points to the "Sans-serif" font, which is "Luxi Sans" for me. If I make that one smaller, eventually the input box will be small enough. But that means the font is too small to read comfortably Sad

One more thing I noticed: My resolution is quite high (1920x1200), so my font size is rather large, too: It's 16.

(e) I'm typing faster than I'm thinking, that's not really good Very Happy The chat text seems to be set simply in the default font, which is "Luxi Sans" of size 16 anyways. Strange enough, changing the font changes, well... the font, while changing the size of the default font does nothing O_o I can change the font to "Times New Roman", then the box is of the right size. But that sux Sad

I've looked at the source, and the problem seems to be that the input field is formatted with "size=27", which says the box has a width of 27 letters, which is too much in my case. I'll keep investigating how to do it differently Smile
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had succes locally by replacing "size=27" with "style="width:100%"" which by all that I know is the correct thing to do, maybe use 95 instead of 100 or something. Otoh, the chat seems to be of fixed width, so maybe one could just use that.

I don't have access to the source of dfm so I can't really try out if there are caveats in the site, but maybe you could check that out pesa?
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Piece of cake! This way is easy LOL From now to forth I will post the problems and wait someone "sings" the solution for me LOL

Done, Pyr. Adopted 95%. Lets see how it evolves. Tested here on IE, FF, Opera, Sarafi and Chrome, all Windows and all working ok. Tell me if it is working for Linux now.

Thank you Smile
Germany Pyrates
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Works like a charm, great!!! Thank you mighty Pesa \,,/
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Genius at work? Wink
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
South Africa LordBelial666
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 6608

LordBelial666 is offline View user's profile Send private message LordBelial666's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope that this may help

Firefox Tweaks

http://www.theforumz.com/forumz/showthread.php?postid=251495#post251495

http://brilliantcorners.org/2004/02/12/make-a-great-browser-even-better

http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/545/

http://www.tweakfactor.com/articles/tweaks/firefoxtweak/ **Very good**

Yes, firefox is already pretty damn fast but did you know that you can tweak it and improve the speed even more?

That's the beauty of this program being open source.
Here's what you do:
In the URL bar, type “about:config” and press enter. This will bring up the configuration “menu” where you can change the parameters of Firefox.

Note that these are what I’ve found to REALLY speed up my Firefox significantly - and these settings seem to be common among everybody else as well. But these settings are optimized for broadband connections - I mean with as much concurrent requests we’re going to open up with pipelining… lol… you’d better have a big connection.

Double Click on the following settins and put in the numbers below - for the true / false booleans - they’ll change when you double click.

Code:
browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs – true
network.http.max-connections – 48
network.http.max-connections-per-server – 16
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy – 8
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server – 4
network.http.pipelining – true
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests – 100
network.http.proxy.pipelining – true
network.http.request.timeout – 300

One more thing… Right-click somewhere on that screen and add a NEW -> Integer. Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0”. This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives. Since you’re broadband - it shouldn’t have to wait.

Now you should notice you’re loading pages MUCH faster now!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: