Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

"Streamlining"
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC RIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:47 am   Post subject: "Streamlining" Reply with quote

We have made changes to the Listen page recently. They include:

- MP3 streams have been removed (except Live365).
- 64k Ogg & 64k WMA have been removed.
- 128k & 64k combined into one column.
- Window Media streams have no HTML by default but can click the logo to get the Chat, Now Playing, Queue/Played inside.
- Updated the notes.

Now that iTunes and RealPlayer support aacPlus, it is a no-brainer for us to take advantage of this. If you use any of these players, please upgrade to the latest version.

We removed 64k Ogg & 64k WMA because we believe there are 2 practical choices: either a low bandwidth option or high quality. Few people want in-between and Windows Media Guide only displays 2 options as well (128k & 32k).

Anything in the 64k/128k listen options are close to CD Quality regardless of their bitrate. Anyone who listens to 64k aacPlus can testify to its superiority. 32k aacPlus is incredible too.

When choosing an option for Windows Media Player, you will see a logo to click if you want the Chat, Now Playing, Queue/Played to load inside of the player.

Ogg will be leaving us soon too. So we will only support WMA and aacPlus in the future.

By consolidating our streams, it will give us higher placement in radio directories, thus giving us more listeners. We are saving a lot of money in bandwidth fees and some server resources as well.

If anyone has any questions or issues listening, please post them here.

Please do not PM me! Use email, feedback or contact us links.
Afghanistan DOSphantom
Commander
Commander

Member#: 3904

DOSphantom is offline View user's profile Send private message View DOSphantom's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some of us prefer that 64k room for gaming, without garbled 32k. Evil or Very Mad
Captain

Member#: 1782

Wurst is offline View user's profile Send private message Wurst's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

i love you for not removing the 128k ogg stream Smile

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

32k aacPlus is hardly garbled. 64k aacPlus is definitely not! Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

128k Ogg will be going away too. You should look to 64k accPlus or 128k WMA as a replacement.

PostmasterDCLXVI RIP (subscribed member)
Captain
Captain

Member#: 4680

PostmasterDCLXVI is offline View user's profile Send private message PostmasterDCLXVI's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

64k aac+ truly rocks!!! Cool Yes

Been listening to DFM for almost 2yrs now and 64k aac+ has not given me any trouble. As for the quality, its much much better than a MP3 stream. If I have trouble with my connection, then I prefer switching over to the 32k aac+ stream, the quality of which is also good.

I have always preferred aac+ over all other streams and so far have had no trouble at all.

Never been able to listen to 128k much as my connection is not that fast. Sad
Captain
Captain

Wurst is offline View user's profile Send private message Wurst's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
32k aacPlus is hardly garbled. 64k aacPlus is definitely not! Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

128k Ogg will be going away too. You should look to 64k accPlus or 128k WMA as a replacement.

Oh c'mon don't remove the ogg 128k again... ogg is the only format i listen to. Wma sucks balls, especially because i'm a linux user. and why to remove the 128k?... i pay for RIP i want to have at least a 128 k stream not again the lower quality 64k stream i had to listen to for years...

damn how i hate this...

EDIT:
Quote:
We removed 64k Ogg & 64k WMA because we believe there are 2 practical choices: either a low bandwidth option or high quality. Few people want in-between and Windows Media Guide only displays 2 options as well (128k & 32k).

You lied when you remove 128k ogg Mad

Btw i tried the wma, and it doesn't work here at my work. Maybe the port is blocked by our router.
Germany GrindGod
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 1305

GrindGod is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GrindGod's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Linux, too and VLC plays aacPlus. When it doesn't work, maybe the port is really closed. Mad

Quote:
Wma sucks balls

Full ACK! Fuck it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:56 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I've said before... Ogg is going away and 64k aacPlus sounds just as good as 128k anything.

The aacPlus streams are firewall friendly (port 80) too.

Zambia Metalheadbrewer
Commander
Commander

aw

Member#: 6546

Metalheadbrewer is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Metalheadbrewer's Favorites
MSN Messenger Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:49 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried 64k aacPlus stream. I will have to give it a shot when I get home tonight.
Germany Wurst
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

And why do there only have to be proprietary fileformats?

And as i said. Winamp connects to the aac stream but is just saying OK and its not playing then.

The wma stream doesn't work at all.

You didn't give a reason why you remove a fine open file format like ogg...

EDIT: How about you give us a dead line when all the good streams are removed. Then i now when i have to move away from this station and stop throwing money out of the window for it.

JERIC wrote:
Like I've said before... Ogg is going away and 64k aacPlus sounds just as good as 128k anything.

The aacPlus streams are firewall friendly (port 80) too.
Germany GrindGod
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 1305

GrindGod is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GrindGod's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try VLC Player. It works great with aacPlus. If you're not allowed to install something on the computer you're sitting before try:

PortableApps

Greetings

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't we use "proprietary" file formats? This means nothing to us or you. Almost every player supports aacPlus now. Why should we waste bandwidth and resources on an outdated file format? Just because it is open source?

Try opening the stream directly in Winamp.
CTRL+L > hi.death.fm

If you truly like this station you will give the change an honest chance.

Germany Wurst
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
Why can't we use "proprietary" file formats? This means nothing to us or you. Almost every player supports aacPlus now. Why should we waste bandwidth and resources on an outdated file format? Just because it is open source?

I don't think its a waste to let your listeners decide which format they like to listen. And btw i don't no any carriable music player that plays aac. And many don't play wma too. Aac plus has tagging problems in different players. wma is i microsoft product which i don't support.

"Ogg has established as a standard in the it-sector. Especially in the audio-sector ogg is supported by soft- and hardware products." -- Wikipedia

I think outtated format is a little bit harsh phrased.

If i drive a car which only takes fuel a. The station were i buy my fuel know says 'hey we don't sell fuel a anymore. try the new fuel b, it doesn't work properly on every car but why not?" then i don't throw away my car, take a new one and buy the other fuel. No i go to a different gas station.

JERIC wrote:

Try opening the stream directly in Winamp.
CTRL+L > hi.death.fm

Tried it but "[HTTP/1.0 200 OK] http://hi.death.fm" is all a get showed.

JERIC wrote:

If you truly like this station you will give the change an honest chance.

You had your chance the last time you removed the stream that i prefer to listen to. I used a long time aac plus, but i recognised, maybe its a good streaming format but as a file format it sucks. Also the tags didn't come synchronised to the stream, so i can't record it (which at the moment the only possibility to get legal music on my harddrive online, and i even pay for it). Now you're removing again the stream as i listen to, forcing me to use formats i don't wanna to / i have technical problems with, then forget about it. Again restrictations and compromises... i have enough of that. I know this speech won't change anything, because you'll go on by principle.

So i have to work the whole day, NOT listening to music i like, but ALSO not paying anymore.
Have a nice day.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:11 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew there would be ONE person that would resist this. I won't argue with you because I can see it won't get anywhere. If you want to give up, that is your choice.

Fortunately for you the Ogg streams may not go away after all. My experiment is not working as well as a planned (technically wise). The new sever is buffering up which will not allow me to consolidate the streams as much as I want to.

I turned the Oggs on DFM for now. I need to upgrade the encoders and server and will be using the other stations for testing this. When you listen to Ogg do you ever notice that it exceed way more than 128kbps? Sometimes over 200k? This is very unfortunate for the low bandwidth users trying to hear the 32k when there is all this excess overhead which costs us money.

If I can fix these issues and continue to have problems with the new stream server, than the Oggs will be sticking around for a while longer.

Thanks for providing your feedback but please have some patience.

diginferno
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 1771

diginferno is offline View user's profile Send private message View diginferno's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wurst wrote:

Also the tags didn't come synchronised to the stream, so i can't record it (which at the moment the only possibility to get legal music on my harddrive online, and i even pay for it).

What am I missing here? Stream ripping is legal? Since when? Unamused

.:: ::.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Streaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: