Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

All Metal Guitarist! Help me out!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
SeveN
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 10549

SeveN is offline View user's profile Send private message SeveN's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 pm   Post subject: All Metal Guitarist! Help me out!! Reply with quote

Im a guitarist and I wanna know which strings are best for "Drop B" Tuning, because I want to play some Amon Amarth, Neaera and At the Gates.
Germany Dami
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the thicker the better if you tune down very much. Makes the grip easier but maybe you have to file the "piece" near the guitars head for them to fit. Personally I mostly play in normal tuning or half step down so I may not the best person to ask.
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
SeveN
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

SeveN is offline View user's profile Send private message SeveN's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx Dami, some advice is better than none. So you play in E and E Flat correct? May I ask what genre you play?
Canada Necrophagist666
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 6105

Necrophagist666 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Necrophagist666's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

if your tuning to a drop b, im thinkng it owuld be good to have a seven string guitar, but im guessing you dont, so get a heavy gauge. i play bass though.. so thats as much as i can help
SeveN
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I also need a heavy tone. anyone recommend particular kinds of pick ups?
Germany Dami
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:34 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SeveN wrote:
I also need a heavy tone. anyone recommend particular kinds of pick ups?

Of course most humbuckers will do a good job. I'm more than content with my Duncan designed HB's on my Jackson RR3, but afaik active EMG-Humbuckers should be the top-notch stuff. Single coil(s) still could be good if you play many leads though, just for the warmer sound.

SeveN wrote:
thanx Dami, some advice is better than none. So you play in E and E Flat correct? May I ask what genre you play?

Mainly Black- and Thrash-stuff, sometimes a few Death- or general Melodic-parts and clean/chorus-interludes near the post-rock style. For myself I play everything I want ranging from rock to a bit of blues/jazz (<- very seldom though), noise (yeah, guitar noise), folk... you'll get the idea...
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
Afghanistan DOSphantom
Commander
Commander

Member#: 3904

DOSphantom is offline View user's profile Send private message View DOSphantom's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say, stay away from Ernie Balls, they really lack tone imo. Dean Markley - NickleSteel Electric - Jazz(12-54ga.) have a massive tone and easy to tune low without slack(tuning it any higher than C would actually pose the risk of damaging your guitar), but pinch harmonics on them are a chore, if not impossible at times.

I wish I knew what the previous owner had on my Lotus, because I use to tune them slack at Bd and I was still pulling off pinch harmonics like fucking crazy.

I have no ideal about what pickups are good or not. All I know is I'll never need to change my main strat ones. :P

One of my guitars(a cheap Johnson) will have to have it's strings and pickups replaced, then have the low/high-pass filters modified so they actually do something, probably a wider sweeping volume pot. Oh and some dampeners inside the body to kill all hideous tinny reverbing sound that it generates.
Cheap guitars become expensive when you have to start putting work into it(and time that could have been spent at your job, saving money for quality equipment).
Mad
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 2580

TECH222 is offline View user's profile Send private message View TECH222's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:38 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get a 7 string, extended range. I did and don't have problems with a sloppy sound a 6 string would.
Cadet 4

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DOSphantom"]I'd say, stay away from Ernie Balls, they really lack tone imo. Dean Markley - NickleSteel Electric - Jazz(12-54ga.) have a massive tone and easy to tune low without slack(tuning it any higher than C would actually pose the risk of damaging your guitar), but pinch harmonics on them are a chore, if not impossible at times.

I wish I knew what the previous owner had on my Lotus, because I use to tune them slack at Bd and I was still pulling off pinch harmonics like fucking crazy."""

A low tuning lk Bb and still easy access to pinch harmonics? that must've been brutal!

""Cheap guitars become expensive when you have to start putting work into it(and time that could have been spent at your job, saving money for quality equipment).""

Those are the words to live by my friend.
Columbia Azdragar
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10419

Azdragar is offline View user's profile Send private message Azdragar's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

D'Adario & Dean Markley are pretty well. For a dropped B Tune, you must have to use MED .011 .013 .020w/18p .030 .042 .052, cause 0.09 gauges are for Standard E or dropped D Maximum.
EMBRACE MY SOUL
Netherlands bowelrupture
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 4294

bowelrupture is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website bowelrupture's Favorites are Private
Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For my 7-string guitar i use a fairly normal set of strings. .010 - .013 - .017 - .026 - .036 - .046 - .056
USA AntarcticaZombie
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 11055

AntarcticaZombie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View AntarcticaZombie's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 46 36 26 17 13 10 on mine. But I'm new to the instrument.

Member#: 11519

paco_ordog is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View paco_ordog's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:07 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello seven, I think you must to use 7 string guitar, but if you have a 6 strings guitar, you can use strings caliber .011 to .060 or something like that

I tune in D, and I use D addario strings caliber .010 to .052 for me its right, everything depends as you settle your.

and about the pick up, I think Hi gain and actives pick up is appropriate.

I hope my opinion is of your help.
Russia Runosvet
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 11538

Runosvet is offline View user's profile Send private message Runosvet's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

My guitar has strings - 011 - 114 - 118 - 028 - 038 - 049
Guitar is very difficult instrument for beginner and recruit.
At the Gates - Cool group!
USA DeathMachineGun
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 11976

DeathMachineGun is offline View user's profile Send private message DeathMachineGun's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to consider a 7 string. however, in the past i have used a 7 string set on a 6 string and just ditch the thinnest string. it worked and played well. however, be VERY careful when removing material away from the nut at the top of the enck for wider strings. if done wrong it can mess with the playability. if you have to open them up and do it yourself be sure to only "widen" them. dont remove material from the bottom of the string channel or you could ahve issues with setup and fret buzz.

i tune up at C# now and still use heavy strings with good luck. currently using D'Addario "EJ22" which is .013 - .017 - .026W - .036 - .046 - .056. same as a 7 string set pretty much.

pickup wise, its hard to beat EMG 81s. if looking to go a passive pickup route then check out the Di Marzio X2N. its about the hottest passive pickup out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Musicians All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: