Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Guitar Strings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Germany Dami
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:28 pm   Post subject: Guitar Strings Reply with quote

Hey guys and gals,

I'd like to ask you about your experiences with guitar strings. Of course it would be interesting which "thickness" you use (and why) and if there is something else mentionable about your choice.

I was always using 0.09 strings in the "GBCL" series (mostly because of the tremolo systems) by GHS from Battlecreek, USA. They had a nice tone for my kind of metal and they were among the cheapest ones till recently. Now they're also at about 5 € per 6 strings, the nickel-plated pyramid strings are now so much cheaper but I don't trust 'em yet, but I'll test them out. My other guitarist always uses Ernie Ball strings but I doubt they would be the right thing for me.

To explain my needs: I like a raw, "metallish" sound with a bit of tone, doesn't have to be too much (but that's prolly mostly for the pickups of the guitar) but has to be there as without it it would just sound dull. Melodies have to come out (at least in the "solo setting" of the guitar), some "Slayer-stylish" solos should be possible.

Uhm well that was probably too elaborate as I just wanted to hear your opinions and experiences with different strings and manufacturers.
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I always used Martin silk and steel on my Guild 12 string. Not that that applies much here in a metal forum. LOL

Memento Mori
Afghanistan DOSphantom
Commander
Commander

Member#: 3904

DOSphantom is offline View user's profile Send private message View DOSphantom's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking Dean Markley's 10-46's. Maybe the 9's or smaller would be easier for thrashing. D'Addario is a cheaper substitute.
Ernie Balls are shit; they're cheap, but they have a muddy undefined tone and not worth it.
I've heard good and bad things about Xavier's, some say they're just as good as most brands, and some say they've unwound on them. For half the price of any other brand, they might be worth a try.

What's your setup?

Probably want the action set as low as possible.
You should be in the bridge pickup, a hot pickup is best.
Turn the attack way the fuck up on a compressor.
You could scoop the mids, but maintaining your guitars characteristics requires a mid boost. So get an eq. pedal.
Damn near any distortion will work, high gain is great, but if you over do it you'll sound more like crust punk or sludge.
For solos and shit get a basic overdrive or boost pedal.
If you're getting a lot of buzzing noise being picked up, get a noise suppressor.

So: low action, bridge, hot pickup(optional), compression, 5-band equalizer, distortion, overdrive or boost pedal(optional).

That's 3-5 basic pedals you can pickup used and brand name for around $100.

Any amp will do for small quarter playing.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

String fags
Columbia Azdragar
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10419

Azdragar is offline View user's profile Send private message Azdragar's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:12 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use D'Adario Strings: EXL116 Medium Top / Heavy Bottom 11-52 & EPS520 Super Light 9-42
Dean Markley Strings: Vintage Electric Re-Issue & Blue Steel™ Electric strings.
For a dropped B Tune, I use MED .011 .013 .020w/18p .030 .042 .052, cause 0.09 gauges are for Standard E or dropped D Maximum.
It's very important to keep the strings oiled. I use to put a bit of moisturizing oil regulary. That keep them bright and smooth when you're playing. Some ppl says if you put your old strings into boiled salted water, they become like new, but dunno if that's true or not.

EMBRACE MY SOUL

Last edited by Azdragar on Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Germany Dami
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:12 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Re again @all,

I'm also using a string conditioner on a regular basis, keeps 'em a bit smoother over time. As for the 0.09 strings, I mostly play in standard tuning so I prolly won't need a thicker set. For deeper tunings I also have other guitars *rich guy mode*.

About that boiling water thing, I've heard of it often but haven't tried it for myself. Anyone want to experiment? Wink

DOS asked for my setup:
Currently playing guitars with passive Humbuckers (Ibanez Infinity PU's if I'm not mistaken on my Ibanez, Seymour Duncan's on my Jackson RR, some cheaper one's I assume are on my other axes). I use the H&K Switchblade tube-amp with the matching speaker, it has a built in effects section (with Phaser, Chorus, Flanger, Delay & Reverb), sometimes I put my Ibanez Chorus stomper in the FX loop.
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
Finland Basher
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10128

Basher is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Basher's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:09 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

the salt water with steel strings... yeah u should have soon really really rusty sound LOL i have not tried it but it sounds like a good way to fasten the oxidation of the metal in the strings.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dami wrote:
Re again @all,

I'm also using a string conditioner on a regular basis, keeps 'em a bit smoother over time. As for the 0.09 strings, I mostly play in standard tuning so I prolly won't need a thicker set. For deeper tunings I also have other guitars *rich guy mode*

If you pla with ur cock, its *God Mode*
Greece constantine588
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 12768

constantine588 is offline View user's profile Send private message constantine588's Favorites are Private
Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i like blue steel strings , 0.10 Very Happy
USA HeadlessBeast
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 8829

HeadlessBeast is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View HeadlessBeast's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

cjjeepercreeper wrote:
I always used Martin silk and steel on my Guild 12 string. Not that that applies much here in a metal forum. LOL
12 string lover? Hey you know what just hit me in the face?... Nope not that.
12 String bass = AWESOME.
Cadet 1

Member#: 12958

slipknot1506 is offline View user's profile Send private message slipknot1506's Favorites are Private
Skype Name
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

.010 .013 .016 .036 .046 .052 for drop H
Netherlands Vlekkie
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 12234

Vlekkie is offline View user's profile Send private message Vlekkie's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:30 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunlop Kerry King Guitar Strings:
010-013-017-026-036-046 + 052 (extra string for drop tunings, but I don't use it).

Before the KFK Strings I used d' Addario EXL110 Regular (010-046), but I prefer the KFK strings.

I think the KFK strings have a better tuning for metal and stay longer good to play with.
Ireland RipperChris
Captain
Captain

Member#: 12876

RipperChris is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View RipperChris's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:50 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

DR DDT Strings Gauges 13-17-22-42-56-65
Ensign

Member#: 4294

bowelrupture is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website bowelrupture's Favorites are Private
Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

0.10-0.13-0.17-0.26-0.36-0.46-0.56 for my 7-string Ibanez RG7-420.
lsmajones
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 14601

lsmajones is offline View user's profile Send private message lsmajones's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Even Slinky 0.12-0.16-0.24-0.32-0.44-0.56
D standard tuning usually and sometimes C standard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Musicians All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: