Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

How did you get into metal?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
fknretard
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 2658

fknretard is offline View user's profile Send private message fknretard's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:54 pm   Post subject: How did you get into metal? Reply with quote

oh yea, the forum is kinda dead and i couldnt find a topic about that so ill just make one. Its just a question and i think its always interesting to see how other people got into it.
Well i always liked guitars, drums and loud vocals. I always listened to AC/DC when i was 6 years old (yea couldnt get something different, living in a house full with hip hop gangstas sucks) and i always thought something like "its nice, but still too soft." Later i started listening to System of a Down, was probably the first band i really liked back then. The older albums. They arent too soft and not too hard. Kinda decent for a 10 year old kid LOL Then slipknot, but i never really liked them, they always looked like fags in my eyes. I still listen to some of their songs but actually i hate them.
Then i started listening to Korn, i still like Korn alot, bash me for it if you want Very Happy But yea, SOAD was too soft, Korn was only good for the times i was depressed, so i had to get something new. Like Cannibal Corpse. Took me a while to like grunts, but yea it worked out. When i first heard a Death Metal song i knew it was exactly what i looked for. The guitars, heavy, nice and muted sometimes. The drums are blasting. The vocals are aggressive and loud =) I think my biggest problem was, i didnt know any good bands back then.
Like i already said, i listen to Korn, SOAD, Marilyn Manson, Death and Black Metal. The Death and Black Metal bands listing would take too long, lol. But now i also found alot of new bands, thanks to this radio. Then again, i wonder if anyone will read this and understand my shitty english.

Last edited by fknretard on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
France yvesson
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 2524

yvesson is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website yvesson's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hej,
Well in the early 90's I used to hear songs from the black album on the radio. Bought it, then master of puppets followed.
After that I bought some iron maiden and megadeth cd's.
I was curious when I saw the first blackend compilation for sale, so I bought it (it was pretty cheap too)
My first song with grunts must have been by sepultura, which I thought extreme by then.
I also discovered helloween somewhat in the same time, and also got into german heavy/speed then.
I still like all I named here, except -of course- the new stuff by sepultura and metallica :/
Romania Razyutis
Captain
Captain

Member#: 1588

Razyutis is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Razyutis's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

yvesson wrote:
except -of course- the new stuff by sepultura and metallica :/
But offcourse the new stuff sucks big time they turned gay! - i needed to pots once today! Silly

My Pet, The Demonic Squirrel, He Likes Metal
Canada Dark
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm i used to listen to rap and classical crap... until i was at a tag sale and saw a compilation cd. It fetures emperor, immortal, creamatory and the such. The 1st song was Emperors song "curse all you men" I was like wtf, this is awsome. then the immortal song "solarfall" came on. this cd has a a collection of the best songs ever. The only shitty thing is i fergot where i put the damn thing.
Germany Dami
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I think I put my metal-story anywhere in the forum already but wtf, here we go again. I got interested in "harder" music through some interviews and pictures; the next step was to look at the old MP3.com homepage and search for some music. My first picks were Amorphis, Six Feet Under, Cannibal Corpse and King Diamond. After their songs (Amorphis: Black Winter Day, Black Embrace, The Brother Slayer, The Way, The Pilgrimage; Six Feet Under : Human Target, War Is Coming, Bonesaw, No Warning Shot; Cannibal Corpse: Pounded Into Dust; King Diamond: The Trees Have Eyes) I went more and more into Metal and found new interesting bands also daily. Did take a while till I bought their albums; took also some more years to get into really extreme metal (well you need to develop a "special type" of hearing).
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
USA TECH222
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 2580

TECH222 is offline View user's profile Send private message View TECH222's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

1987 Baby....

LOL
UK Waffen
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 2503

Waffen is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Waffen's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was always there. I was brought up listening to some cheesey old stuff like Queen and the Beetles. Then I saw and heard Iron Maiden......and so it began!

From there I got into the 'lighter' side of rock! That didn't last long as by the age of 12 I saw and bought Reign in Blood on vinyl. My family hated it! I loved it. Pissing them off with Angel of Death etc. I also got into the main thrash of Anthrax, Megadeth and Metallica.

Then in 1990 someone introduced me to Entombed and Therion. It spiralled out of controll until about 1993 when death metal seemingly died and got boring. I heard 'A Blaze in the Northern Sky' about this time and I got well into Black Metal. I sent hate mail to the local Vicar and some church goers - like you'd expect an influential kid to. I even got busted at college burning bibles from the hall of residence! They objected to the fact that it was next to a massive shed full of straw and a Diesel tank! Twisted Evil

Then I calmed down and saw the music for what it was, left all the ideology behind and just got on with enjoying the music.
USA Death_Medic RIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 1099

Death_Medic is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Death_Medic's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into metal when i was 9 or 10 i liked the Eddy drawings on Maiden records (thats right records) the first metal album i listened to and loved was piece of mind (which i borrowed from the public libary the same for the next one) them live after death by Maiden. My mom had a fit and that was that....in 6th grade i was with my buddy and his mom at a burger king drive through when she saw a tape laying on the ground (the case and all) so i jump out and get it its Slayer Regin in Blood that was it from there out it was all metal for me that tape didnt leave my walkman for 6 months so thats my little tale.
Cadet 3

Member#: 2408

Churchchair is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Churchchair's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

1) It started in 1986 with Europe's The Final Countdown. (huh huh)
2) Bon Jovi and AC/DC in the same year.
3) I saw the videoclip Can I play with madness (Iron Maiden)
4) Every sunday I watched Headbangers ball... with Vanessa Warwick (Before that it was a show with two brothers, I even saw Adam Currie before on the Ball!)
5) I saw the world première of Metallica's One on the Ball...: Metallica fan for live since 1988
6) On the ball there was a little space for 3 Death metal clips per week.
7) I wanted more... a death metal fan was born!
8) .... since 1992....
The_Midnight_G...
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 207

The_Midnight_Grotesque is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website The_Midnight_Grotesque's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually been listening to metal ever since I was 6-7 yrs old. It all started when we visited friends of my parents. Little did we know that their son would grow up to be the singer of a band called Axamenta Grin

Anyway, back then I was always listening to the mainstream songs but he put on Metallica's ...And Justice For All. From the second "Blackened" really kicked in, I was sold. Afterwards, Peter (that's his name btw) made me a cassette with what I would call a best off, it featured songs like One, Harvester Of Sorrow, Fade To Black, Battery, The Four Horsemen,...

While listening to this cassette, I started getting really interested in metal, getting into the whole '80s metal-scene (with Metallica, Megadeth, Guns & Roses, ...). Then while I reached a certain age
( Neutral ) I listened to Korn's first album and it blew me away. I had never heard such a heavy sound before and I was hooked on the whole nu metal-thing. (Guess what age I was? LOL )

What I've always wondered but never could answer, I always wanted something more extreme: from Korn to Slipknot, from Slipknot to Cradle Of Filth, from Cradle Of Filth to the "true" Black Metal and so on. Altough I have to admit, while listening to mostly Black Metal, I started getting interested in Death Metal (Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower, Amon Amarth and the likes). Then came the Thrash-period with mostly Slayer, Testament, (old) Metallica again, Kreator, ...

Right now, I consider myself to be a very open-minded "metalhead" (altough I don't like to use that term). I can listen to some Kamelot, then some Dimmu Borgir, then Slayer, Gojira, Deicide, Iced Earth and so on... Most people here know I'm very open-minded, some say I'm too open-minded actually Peace
Canada Dark
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I take back what i said... i got fucking injected with metal thru my fucking brain during a government experiment. Smile
RelaS
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2781

RelaS is offline View user's profile Send private message RelaS's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

When i was pretty young my aunt usually listened to bahaus, queen and those kind's of bands, when i was 14 i started listening to Slipknot ( damm i was really a dumb kid at that time :P ) when i was 15 someone showed me DB and children of bodom, the rest is exploring ^^ till you end up listening to almost any metal genre and hating nu-metal :P
lundvall
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 2920

lundvall is offline View user's profile Send private message lundvall's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well i think i was about 13-14 years old when i first heard some tracks by In Flames that i thought kicked ass. And then i started to listen to more and more music that became harder and harder and now I stand here with you guys, i'm 18 at the moment :/
USA TECH222
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 2580

TECH222 is offline View user's profile Send private message View TECH222's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:
I take back what i said... i got fucking injected with metal thru my fucking brain during a government experiment. Smile

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Nice.

Snicker
Spain zarqun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2916

zarqun is offline View user's profile Send private message zarqun's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Midnight_Grotesque wrote:
I've actually been listening to metal ever since I was 6-7 yrs old. It all started when we visited friends of my parents. Little did we know that their son would grow up to be the singer of a band called Axamenta Grin

You're kidding me, aren't you? Axamenta.... Shocked OK! OK! OK! OK! OK! OK! OK! OK! OK! OK! OK! OK! OK! Shocked
niiiiccceeee!

I stumbled into metal when I was 10-11 years old, in 1996 (yep, to most of you I'm a young little boy)
I always had a lot of older friends, and, because I love any kind of music, they let me hear some metal. I guess the first thing of metal I heard was Slayer with Piece By Piece.
I started listening to the very common things in metal:
for Heavy and Power metal: Iron Maiden and similar stuff
Death: Possessed, Death, Master, Amorphis,...
Trash: Slayer, Kreator,...
Black: Venom Grin

my only problem: I like too much kinds of music... and I can't stay up-to-date for all of them, I have like 800 metal-, punk and -corebands written down => worth a listen Mad Neutral

lately I'm most of all busy with Death, Drum 'n' Bass, Salsa and Trance
Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: