Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

How did you get into metal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Germany Pyrates
Commander
Commander

Member#: 83

Pyrates is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Pyrates's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:19 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Harhar, let the flame wars beginn ^^

No really, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_metal and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_metal .

Cheers
Philipp
Captain

Member#: 2410

irule is offline View user's profile Send private message View irule's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:28 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big question Korban. You really have to listen to it to know the difference, to an untrained ear black metal just sounds repetitive. Probably the best example of "the sound" is Emperor's first two albums.

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:25 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obvious that death metal uses more growling & grunting. Also some bands in black metal use a unpolished (honest) sound and very aggressive and fast riffing or very slow, depressing, moody songs.

Just listen to some of the stuff, there are enough underground bands existing. Maybe too much of them but some are very listenable.
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
Germany Wurst
Captain
Captain

Member#: 1782

Wurst is offline View user's profile Send private message Wurst's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

At first i heared some System of a down, because of the growling and the grunting of the bass player and learned something about headbangin. Then i switched to the Old Slipknot because of the sickness. At next i heared the album "bringer of blood" from six feet under at a music store and was shocked... So ffuckin brutal vokills and Guitar riffs... i begged my mom for donation at christmas but didn't get it Very Happy. So i bought it by myself and got into contagion with death metal. (next step was cannibal corpse and bloodbath) Btw... i heared Immortals " Frost Demon Storm" before i ever listened active to metal... Very Happy (and Cradle of Filths Cover Version of Maidens "Hallowed be thy name" Wink )
korban_tv
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 3169

korban_tv is offline View user's profile Send private message korban_tv's Favorites are Private
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@ pyrates
thanks a lot..

@ irule
yup..i abosolutely agree with u, but how to differrence between death metal band and black one? any example?

@dami
can i say that craddle of filth is a death metal one an iron maiden is a black metal one?

cmiiw

thanks a lot guys..Smile

--
korban_tv
Germany Dami
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... I don't think so Shocked
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
Canada irule
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2410

irule is offline View user's profile Send private message View irule's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know, listen to bloodbath and then setherial. those are good examples. basically the differences are: blastbeats, quiet bass and dissonant tremelo riffs vs technical riffs, high solos, jazzy drums and a more prominent bass sound.

Member#: 3156

slave2thyinternet is offline View user's profile Send private message slave2thyinternet's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As a young kid, I listened to the Beatles. Gradually, I started liking louder music from there (Deep Purple, etc). I heard Metallica and fell in love. This was about 1999. Have been listening to strictly true metal since about 2002-2003. I got tired of metalcore a few years back but have enjoyed death metal the most all the way through. Yes

-S \m/
Venezuela metalero
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2087

metalero is offline View user's profile Send private message metalero's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to hear heavy metal at 16 ....now i have 39 .. Very Happy Very Happy

The first album of metal that i heard was " Defenders of faith " of Judas Priest .. OK! OK!

Later Saxon , Iron Maiden , Black Sabbath , Dio , Motorhead , AC DC...

Then i met Trash Snicker Snicker

Metallica , Megadeth , Anthrax , Helloween , Slayer , Sodom , Nuclear Assault , Tankard , Death Angel , Sabbath , Exodus , Hirax , Metal church, Testament.......

Later i met Death metal
Sepultura , Death , Grave , morbid Angel, Asphyx, Malevolent Creation , .... OK! OK!

And listening Death FM I 've expanded my metal horizons

Thanks to ALL

LONG LIVE TO METAL !!!!!!!!!!! OK! OK! OK!
Germany Blaspheretic
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 3647

Blaspheretic is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Blaspheretic's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:23 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As i was 3, my father listened to Deep Purple, Sabbath etc., then in the mid
of the eighties i heard Accept "Balls to the wall" and was addicted, followed
by Maiden, Priest......, end 80s/ beginning 90s Death Metal (Death, Morbid Angel, Pestilence), some Napalm Death, Black Metal, now i listen to almost
everything available in here.
USA Slave_To_The_C...
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 4339

Slave_To_The_Cross is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Slave_To_The_Cross's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:36 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

my two brothers were listening to 80s metal and thats how i got into metal in general
USA weaponlordzero
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4405

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up, my parents were into Sabbath, and most other rock bands. I really got into Metallica, Megadeth, Sabbath/Ozzy, Pantera, Slayer (and others I don't remember right now) then got moved into Sepultura which got me into the heavier stuff.

- Ghaleon of Vane - aka The Magic Emperor
Australia Condoras
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 4428

Condoras is offline View user's profile Send private message View Condoras's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A dude i knew in high school lent me a tape of far beyond driven, at that stage i handed it back sayin it was a too heavy for me LOL So he lent me cowboys from hell, which i really liked, then i heard vulgar display of power and that really started me down the path. i got the trendkill album (at this stage i was also listening to metallica master of puppets and justice for all) and fell in love with it .. but what got me really interested into finding out heavier music was the song slaughtered from far beyond driven. Was when i was watching ace ventura when i saw/heard cannibal corpse. from getting cowboys from hell to seeing cannibal corpse, was about 4 years difference. First offical death metal cd i purchased was CC - Gallery of suicide. Never had many friend who were into metal so the way i discovered new bands to listen to was to read through the band thanks list.

Now i discover new bands through DFM Smile
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't listen to metal, I just come here because I'm lonely.

Memento Mori
USA VileVince
Commander
Commander

Member#: 213

VileVince is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail VileVince's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Slave_To_The_Cross wrote:
my two brothers were listening to 80s metal and thats how i got into metal in general

That didn't work with my sister, she listens to EMO Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Community All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: