Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

An inconvenient truth?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
South Korea misanthrone
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 1992

misanthrone is offline View user's profile Send private message View misanthrone's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:22 pm   Post subject: An inconvenient truth? Reply with quote

Maybe some of U guys have seen this movie.. I don't know where the truth lies, probably somewhere in the middle..
but I would like to ask if anyone cares about the environment?.. lately, it has become a hot topic all around the world.. is anyoane concerned about the apocalyptic predictions regarding the environment?..
Personally, I think everyone is responsible for the situation, and people don't care much about this issue.. their comfort is much more precious than protection of nature..
I'm not into apocalyptic predictions, but I think the future doesn't look good regarding this matter..
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2916

zarqun is offline View user's profile Send private message zarqun's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:37 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I do care about it...
but I don't do much about it Mad

I'm concerned about all the things going on:
most of you probably already noticed changes the last few years.
e.g.: we just had 37 days without rain.... in April!! Shocked
normally we should have 20 days of rain in April LOL Silly

There will be dramatic changes for sure, most of them will come very
fast (in geological terms, which means: within a few hundred years)
we will notice some changes the next 100 years, but I think the most
drastic changes will be a lot later.

Anyway: the next century will be very interesting Grin
and as always: mankind will find a way to 'survive' this...
I'm more concerned about a wide range of animal species.
We, we are like parasites: we colonize very fast and easy, we adapt ourselfs very fast (or we adapt our environment) and finally we move on to a next area when the current one is thrashed/sucked out/...
most animals (except for most microorganisms) can't adapt themselves so fast to climatological/environmental changes.
And to be boy eternal.
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

The algore is about as full of shit as anyone on this planet. His doom and gloom scenario is mostly fiction, as most scientists that don't have their heads up algore's ass will tell you. Global warming...suuuuuurrrrre. We had more snow this past winter since the mid 90s, WE HAD SNOW THIS PAST WEEKEND, the first weekend in MAY! Research this a bit, I have a bunch. The earth is going thru one of its elevnty billion cycles. Right now what we are experiencing is the sun also going thru a cycle, causing a little instability on earth.
Spain zarqun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

zarqun is offline View user's profile Send private message zarqun's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:03 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmz....
Most things shown in "An Inconvenient Truth" are exagerated, that's true

Earth does have cycles. e.g. in the Middle Ages we had palm trees here (North-West of Europe).
but the difference now is: the changes develop a lot faster. The global warming goes too fast to have only natural causes
sure, the earth is currently in a warming up stage by natural causes (standing closer to the sun, giga-climates,... and a more intensive sun cycle), but above those natural causes also
human factors speed the process.
We're also in a change of a "great year": that's an astronomical definition for a period of 26.000 years. A lot of planetary cycles and suncycles come to an end and restart everything again. The countering of those cycles takes several years to be completed.

To explain how you guys could have had snow last weekend:
if climatologic systems are disturbed, then some regions get more rain/snow/... and others don't, some regions get more sunny days, others don't
We never had winter this year.... last time we had a more severe winter was in 1993. the last few years we maximum have 7 days of snow, this year we even didn't have that....

by now: most scientists do agree with global warming. But not a scenario like Al Gore presents. Most of the changes will be more subtle.
Al Gore's movie is more Hollywoodstyle: shock the mass to start a chain reaction.
most of the scientists that don't believe global warming are just the same ones that believe in "Intelligent Design" ( Shocked what a joke of a theory LOL )

but I do understand your scepticism. Global climate changes are hard to estimate, to record,...

like I said: the next century will be very interesting Wink
And to be boy eternal.
diginferno
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 1771

diginferno is offline View user's profile Send private message View diginferno's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, why do i have to miss every interesting thing that happens in this world? Rolling Eyes

.:: ::.
Brazil Pesadelo RIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 3090

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Pesadelo's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:06 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

cjjeepercreeper wrote:
The earth is going thru one of its elevnty billion cycles.

Yes

And you ppl can be sure that if we human-virus are on some away molesting Gaia, she will desinfect her Earth without blame. Any way, I believe that at the end, there will be humans over here; this is another cycle - the human cycle.
Spain zarqun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:11 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even call it a cycle Grin Snicker
And to be boy eternal.
Papua Newguinea SeclusionSolution RIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 2031

SeclusionSolution is offline View user's profile Send private message View SeclusionSolution's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="diginferno"] damn, why do i have to miss every interesting thing that happens in this world? Rolling Eyes[/quote]

LOL Point No1: ok digi; Planet is heating up!
Point No2 : I do care about nature and environment.
Point No3 : As long as it don´t affect the horse power in motor engineering Grin

diginferno

Member#: 1771

diginferno is offline View user's profile Send private message View diginferno's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@Seclu: Boiled digi cares about environment, too. Crying or Very Sad

.:: ::.
Canada Dark
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also another cycle of the earth hat happenes evry 26,000 years. The 3 degree axis makes a complete circle evry time during this long period and within 2010 or 13 i believ we will be at the apex of this. The result as you would notice is actually a shift within the major seasons, like moving ahead or back entire months at a time.
USA Death_Medic RIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 1099

Death_Medic is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Death_Medic's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:48 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been saying this for years
Al Gore is a stupid fuck and a robot for the media and a media whore.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dark"]There is also another cycle of the earth hat happenes evry 26,000 years. The 3 degree axis makes a complete circle evry time during this long period and within 2010 or 13 i believ we will be at the apex of this. The result as you would notice is actually a shift within the major seasons, like moving ahead or back entire months at a time.[/quote]

this astronomic cycle is also known as the Great Year
both ancient Chinese and Maya calendars are based on astronomical observations.
These calendars stop the 21st December in 2012. Both civilisations never knew about eachother, and yet their calendars come to an end on the same date.
In the Maya culture, the last few decennia of a Great Year are supposed to be periods of big changes...

I believe we'll get the point of no return in 2012 Grin Climatological changes will be so big (not necessarly noticable!) by then, there's no way to alter it again.
And to be boy eternal.
worminfestedco...
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2177

worminfestedcorpse is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail worminfestedcorpse's Favorites are Private
ICQ Number
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

it's survival of the fittest. if nature doesen't survive... well... Wink
USA nechesthecat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2291

nechesthecat is offline View user's profile Send private message nechesthecat's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, just brush-up on you cartographical skills; if we experience a shift in magnetic poles, there are a lot of maps to update, etc... Wink Axis shifts are an interesting method of comparative dating for fossil records...

Re: caring about the environment - of course, I do. I try not to shit where I eat, you know. Personally, I'm hoping for another ice-age, so the fatties won't go outside, leaving the world for me.
Canada irule
Captain
Captain

Member#: 2410

irule is offline View user's profile Send private message View irule's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Man-made global warming is a scam to get people behind a carbon tax, that would go right to the UN. What i've seen of the film is pure propaganda. If anything the sun is heating up, and man-made carbon emissions account for less than 1% of any warming that is going on. Even black tar roofs create more climate change.
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: