Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Okay, I need some advice...

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Canada Blut_Und_Krieg
Commander
Commander

Member#: 236

Blut_Und_Krieg is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Blut_Und_Krieg's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:34 pm   Post subject: Okay, I need some advice... Reply with quote

I'm planning on buying a guitar, I'm a beginner blah blah blah.

Would an Ibanez starter kit be a good choice?

Also what are some good companies for wah peddles/distortion crap or whatever...?
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibanez guitars are very good most of the time, even the cheap ones, so I'd think a Ibanez starter kit would be very good to begin with. I use a Ibanez distortion pedal (SM7 Smash Box), really good and heavy distortion but could be too much for a starter's amp. Some people also like the Boss Metal Zone 2 pedals (if I'm not mistaken has the option to equalize 4 "frequencies"). I own both but haven't played much with that Boss pedal because the distortion was too weak for me. Good distortion in Amps (Combos) can often be found in the bigger Marshall-Stuff but my Peavy Studiopro 112 also has a nice, dry distortion.
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
Jamaica kanibaal
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 973

kanibaal is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View kanibaal's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:59 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want to sound metal you will definitely need a distortion pedal with your starter amp. the cheap small amp most likely don't have a nice metal gain like engl or some marshalls. you could try for example a cheap behringer pedal (like the ultra metal=metal zone) and play it over your amp (w/o too much gain - as clean as possible). if you like it you can buy a more expensive pedal or a nice engl tube top Wink for black metal you could try a fuzz pedal too. good luck!
Commander

Member#: 236

Blut_Und_Krieg is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Blut_Und_Krieg's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to create as much feedback as possible, actually. So I might need to get a different amp. :/

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions/tips. Wink
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:43 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

kanibaal wrote:
if you want to sound metal you will definitely need a distortion pedal with your starter amp. the cheap small amp most likely don't have a nice metal gain like engl or some marshalls. you could try for example a cheap behringer pedal (like the ultra metal=metal zone) and play it over your amp (w/o too much gain - as clean as possible). if you like it you can buy a more expensive pedal or a nice engl tube top Wink for black metal you could try a fuzz pedal too. good luck!

Woah... are u sure u arent in a band yet? Snicker
USA Death_Medic RIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 1099

Death_Medic is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Death_Medic's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Jackson Dingy GT and a Peavy amp also I have a death metal pedal and it kicks ass!
Commander

Member#: 3904

DOSphantom is offline View user's profile Send private message View DOSphantom's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar, idk, I just got some no name strat for $20(plays and sounds great though).

For distortion try a Behringer um100 for about $30, it's a
metal zone clone has less distortion than a real one Sad but it's something to fool around with for cheap(makes a cheap fuzz pedal or overdrive too). The level knob can be a bitch to get just right.

HM-2 makes a great overdrive pedal, or to get the Swedish tone(plus they're cheap). Takes some experimentation with the color knobs to see how they work and get it to sound sweet.

Digitech death metal pedal is great, big, and fairly powerful, just might be a tad bit to noisy though.

Metal Zone pedal pricy to begin off with but if you want more tone options than the DM offers and more distortion than the um100 try it out, but can easily wind up thin at times.
USA deanicide666
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 3891

deanicide666 is offline View user's profile Send private message deanicide666's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:40 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

esp guitars with a good pedal sound great 2

I Am Eternal...... B1tch
Germany Dami
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:05 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

But ESP guitars cost a lot ! Smile
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
USA deanicide666
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 3891

deanicide666 is offline View user's profile Send private message deanicide666's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dami wrote:
But ESP guitars cost a lot ! Smile
yes they do
cant argue with the sound unless ur broke then tell the sound to fu@k off

I Am Eternal...... B1tch
USA nechesthecat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 2291

nechesthecat is offline View user's profile Send private message nechesthecat's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding sounds: I happen to like the MXR MicroAmp and Distortion+. They're about $80 each, but I've seen the Micro on sale for $20....

If you're just getting started, *please* make sure you can tune your instrument, and learn the rule that you *never* tune at full volume with your distortion on.....it's fucking annoying. A pedal-tuner that mutes the output while you tune it pretty useful.
Afghanistan DOSphantom
Commander
Commander

Member#: 3904

DOSphantom is offline View user's profile Send private message View DOSphantom's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:05 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and for wah pedals. I hear Dunlop cry babies are pretty good.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: