Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

With queue times so long, etc., what's the point with RIP?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:06 pm   Post subject: With queue times so long, etc., what's the point with RIP? Reply with quote

I've been subscribing to RIP monthly, figure its as good a way as any to give the site a donation each month. But I think from now on my measly $5 is just going to go to the Donation Meter. I figure it goes to the same place either way, or am I wrong there? Anyway, with queue times routinely 2 1/2-3 hours long all the time its kind of like what's the point of RIP anymore? The RIP forum is nothing special, and the 128k stream actually sounds worse than the 64k aac. Why not just eliminate RIP and keep the donation meter going? Would probably be less bookkeeping for the site owners.

Memento Mori
South Korea misanthrone
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 1992

misanthrone is offline View user's profile Send private message View misanthrone's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

the request wait is becoming ridiculous, even for RIP's.. dfm turns into a 10-headed monster that will devour us.. makes no sense to pay for RIP, I agree OK!
Commodore

aw

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not putting this up as a criticism of DFM, I'm throwing this out so that maybe it will start the staff thinking of solutions. DFM is growing, its huge compared to what it was when I joined, and with growth must come change. Maybe they already have some ideas, if so, we, the customers, would love to hear them. OK! Peace

Memento Mori
diginferno
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 1771

diginferno is offline View user's profile Send private message View diginferno's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, JERIC explained this here .

I strongly believe that paying the RIP subscription is well worth what we get for it. That would be a commercial free stream and the privilege of making more requests than the non-paying members. Besides, I won't give up that headstone by my nickname so easily.

Now, the wait times issue is completely different. Have you guys checked the SST wait times? RIPs are still entitled to more requests than non-RIPs. You probably noticed that I don't request as much as I used to. Not because the wait is too long, but because the queue is long and I don't want to make it even longer. I'm still paying my monthly RIP because I need that request indicator and often I can't focus on the station until after work, so I wouldn't want to wait for, say, 180 minutes to request a second song. That is because I also need to sleep every once in a while.

Besides, if people are here just to show off and prove the world what a wonderful taste in music they have, why won't they just stream their own music over the web via Winamp and advertise their streams using whatever available means? After a while, when the streams will be down, they'd eventually start receiving e-mails asking why the hell did the music stop? Hmmm, then they'd probably start bragging about people who leech the streams without paying a cent for the Internet connection, the power, the hard disk they just had to change because the first one was fried...

Are we going to think twice before we hit? Pleez? Frankly, I wouldn't want JERIC to get tired of this war.

JERIC wrote:

This is the problem with people. If you give people free ice cream for a while then when you can't afford to give it away anymore people start demanding where the fuck their free ice cream is!

It's still free to listen here. So before you get into a hissy fit put yourself in my shoes. Ask yourself, what have I done to contribute to DFM?

You can go to the next station, suck the life out of it and move on to the next. if you want. Or you can stop your bitching and pony of 500 pennies to support this place that you supposedly love.

Nothing is free in life and if you haven't learned that yet you're in trouble.

.:: ::.
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:44 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Digi, like I said, NOT a criticism, just wondering what the next step in the evolution is. With the huge growth, something has to give, and hopefully Jeric, et al, are thinking about it. Just putting this up as a thought provoker, I hope it is understood and interpreted that way. And I'll continue to give $5 a month in some way, shape or form, occasionally a little more (when Aley isn't looking Mr. Green ).

Memento Mori
diginferno

Member#: 1771

diginferno is offline View user's profile Send private message View diginferno's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If Aley will read this thread, you're in trouble LOL

Having an idea about how things usually evolve in the forums, I took the liberty to post the reply above. It was more of a reminder of the reasons that determined the transition to RIP.

Anyway, I guess there were too many conflicts lately. I'm kind of tired. Peace

.:: ::.
USA weaponlordzero
Commander
Commander

Member#: 4405

weaponlordzero is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View weaponlordzero's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost think it's worth it just to have the countdown timer. LOL

- Ghaleon of Vane - aka The Magic Emperor
Papua Newguinea SeclusionSolution RIP (subscribed member)
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 2031

SeclusionSolution is offline View user's profile Send private message View SeclusionSolution's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:15 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

pfff your problem if you have pepper in the ass, it´s probably an adavantage of requestwait no matter of the queuelength. Cause all i hear of normal user "I can´t request *whine*" so it´s definately a bonus. Btw everyone can still donate so where is the problem??! During nighttime is very adavantageous with 1 minute wait u have quickly pulled up your daily wishlist.

I wanna keep my RIP

Btw imagine all have same short request time it would end up the same. I remember DFM 2006 as wait was 15 mins for everyone was fighting for the request as well an result was: 2 1/2 hours as well

edit: @ cj i believe you being generous person but i think it right you have to give the dog a bone else ppl just take it for free. I see with disgrace each month how ppl sit on their purses wait till last day if they can afford 5$ to donate... thinking of running costs each day

USA JERIC RIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:28 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for bringing this up. I agree the queue length has been unreasonable lately. This is not fair to RIPs.

I have matched SST's wait times for now since I think the active community here is almost as big even though the listeners aren't quite as high.

I expect to hear some bitching and moaning but this is the starting point and will be further refined until I come up with the fairest solution possible.

Please do not PM me! Use email, feedback or contact us links.
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

OK!
And exactly my intention as far as just starting some thinking and a dialogue. Peace

Memento Mori
Germany Blaspheretic
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 3647

Blaspheretic is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Blaspheretic's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:52 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday i paid the RIP for another year, need i say more?
Only problem i still have, long songs, as i suggested a while ago,
someone who requests a 15 minutes monster should have to wait
a longer time, 1 request of 5 minutes IS NOT the same as one of 20.
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:55 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

But blas, you don't have a life and are on here 24/7. LOL

Memento Mori
Germany Blaspheretic
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 3647

Blaspheretic is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Blaspheretic's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:02 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

cjjeepercreeper wrote:
But blas, you don't have a life and are on here 24/7. LOL

If this was the truth, lucky me 'cause life sux and not to have it must be
the most pleasant dream ever, sigh...
Germany Stuka_Kommandant
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 2872

Stuka_Kommandant is offline View user's profile Send private message View Stuka_Kommandant's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:58 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevertheless, it is quite easy - Everybody which wants to hear a song
that longer than 10 minutes lasts pays the double...
With best greetings to all doomsters and *the usual suspects* here! Mr. Green Peace
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 2627

bertoestra is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View bertoestra's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

im not a rip member yet,,,,in the past i could not pay coz i had to feed my family,,,,thats a choiche i made,,,now im divorced and waiting for my own home so no money for pleasures yet,,,,,but im still in the community here and i love that to have fun and talk to metalheads around the world,,,,thats for me nmr one,,,,,i dont request alot ,,,,but listening yes i do alot,,,,,,and i understand this situation yes,,,,,,,but there is one thing i dont understand,,,,,there are 3 ways to donate ,,,, 1 donationmeter,,,2rip member and 3 donate cds,,,,,there are some dudes here on dfm donate all the 3 off them ,,,,so set them free of request time ,,,,,,in my mind the icecreamstory is going one way a lil bit ,,,,,,,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: