Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Do you care about lyrics?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 

Do you?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 19 ]
No
21%
 21%  [ 11 ]
Sometimes
42%
 42%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 52

South Korea misanthrone
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 1992

misanthrone is offline View user's profile Send private message View misanthrone's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:45 pm   Post subject: Do you care about lyrics? Reply with quote

Back when I was a young satanist (hehe) I use to read all lyrics, learn them, sing along with the bands I liked.. I even had my walls/locker painted with satanic lyrics:).. honestly nowadays I couldn’t give a shit about lyrics, most of them are completely ridiculous or in best cases just stupid.. to write lyrics to you have to be a poet/writer or at least have some talent on this matter.. and let’s face it, most of those people in the bands who write lyrics don’t have such..after all, it’s not a world of poets we live in.. with a few exceptions ( best one - My Dying Bride – Aaron is truly an artist) lyrics are plain dumb..that’s why I don’t give a flying fuck about that.. let’s hear who does..

Last edited by misanthrone on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I care about the lyrics a bunch. If I can't understand them I look them up. BTW, Paul Kuhr of Novembers Doom is one of the best lyricists, every single song has meaning to him. Check out his book, "The Wayfaring Chronicles" for his explanations of every song he has ever written.

Memento Mori
Hungary erkan
Captain
Captain

Member#: 6364

erkan is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View erkan's Favorites
MSN Messenger Skype Name
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the most of the lyrics, so I don't care about them. If the music is good, I listen to the song, even if the lyrics are ridiculous or stupid.
Commander
Commander

Member#: 5304

kratos is offline View user's profile Send private message kratos's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Its too interesting to read the style of writing each band does especially in bm/black doom.I have to admit some are stupid.Bottom line is, I like to
read lyrics and try to understand but don't follow,"worship" or watever you want to call it.
Commander

Member#: 3904

DOSphantom is offline View user's profile Send private message View DOSphantom's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Allot of lyrics are retarded and remind me of back in first grade. While we tried to come up with the most grotesque crap we could, such as forks and tacks stuck in someones skull, etc.

I prefer lyrics that you could easily imagine as a large series of mind blowing novels just condensed into several minutes of insanity.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

DOSphantom wrote:
Allot of lyrics are retarded and remind me of back in first grade. While we tried to come up with the most grotesque crap we could, such as forks and tacks stuck in someones skull, etc.

What you are referring to is all of the lyrics in grind songs and most of the lyrics in so called "brutal" death metal.

Memento Mori
South Korea misanthrone
Commodore
Commodore

misanthrone is offline View user's profile Send private message View misanthrone's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

cjjeepercreeper wrote:

What you are referring to is all of the lyrics in grind songs and most of the lyrics in so called "brutal" death metal.

no one will ever convince that those bands actually "sing" lyrics.. they say they do, then mask their impotence music-wise and lyrics-wise behind retarded pig squeals Very Happy
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 3090

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Pesadelo's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I have difficulties to understand plain spoken English, much more growled or burbled.

However, even in my native language, lyrics are not important to me. The voice is an instrument like other and intonation and melodiousness are the important for me.
bonghits_jaimee
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 8120

bonghits_jaimee is offline View user's profile Send private message bonghits_jaimee's Favorites are Private
AIM Address Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:55 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Pesadelo wrote:
LOL I have difficulties to understand plain spoken English, much more growled or burbled.

However, even in my native language, lyrics are not important to me. The voice is an instrument like other and intonation and melodiousness are the important for me.

i think this is a great way to look at it.

as a female, i often get asked the question "aren't all those bands you listen to singing about worshipping satan" etc... i don't know why i seem to get it more than guys, but i do.

i personally don't give two craps about lyrics, it's just part of the song, like you said, an instrument.

also, honestly, if i can really distinguish the lyrics of a particular band or song, it actually takes away from the actual music of the song. to me at least.
Brazil Daniem
Commander
Commander

Member#: 2982

Daniem is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Daniem's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:16 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I do care in some cases. Death, Thrash and fast Black metal (blasting all around) I dont give a shit. However, for bands that have longer songs, well worked, I usually go after the lyrics; I'd say mostly doom and atmospheric BM. For example, Ataraxie's "L'Ataraxie" with that great agony screams in the middle of it, and Nocte Obducta's "Und Pan spielt die Flöte". They're both long and awesome songs... worth the time spent in reading the texts.
USA JERIC RIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a poll?

Please do not PM me! Use email, feedback or contact us links.
South Korea misanthrone
Commodore
Commodore

MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC wrote:
How about a poll?

done. vote people!
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm the only yes vote. As an artist of course I care about lyrics, but it won't matter too much if there are shit lyrics when the music is good...
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
UK Waffen
Captain
Captain

aw

Member#: 2503

Waffen is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Waffen's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:46 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy lyrics, however ridiculous, BM ones amuse me and death/gore/grind ones I find childish. As much as I enjoy they are not as important to me as intonation and the sound of the singing itself.

Languages I don't understand make for the best singing as you can really listen to the intonation. Even some I understand are good too. Alot of bands / musicians are very clever and inventive in this area and it fascinates me.
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 7035

Metalmantom is offline View user's profile Send private message View Metalmantom's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually care about lyrics, but Christian lyrics piss me off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Metal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: