Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Death.FM VIP Membership
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Pixie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 11

Pixie is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Pixie's Favorites are Private
AIM Address ICQ Number
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a good idea. The request times here are pretty low as it is. There should be some kind of benefit for those who are VIP's over others. That's why they are called VIP's.

Gee $50 for a year. That's a little over $4 a month. Or maybe donate some CD's... but hey, it's cool: you can still listen for free, chat, post in the forums and request songs even if you can't/don't want to donate something because that's the cool kind of guy Jeric is. 8)

As this site grows, the queue gets longer and longer. The request time was 1 minute when I joined the site. As we get more and more members, the request time will inevitably increase. (because who wants to sit and wait 3 hours to hear their pick??)

As far as what other people pick: that will be a problem regardless of how frequently you can request. We have a vast playlist that covers several genres of metal, there is bound to be something that is not your favorite that someone else loves. It isn't YOURNAMEHERE'SMETAL.FM, it's DEATH.FM. Besides maybe you'll find something new you really like.

Good call with the VIP system JERIC.

-Pix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 1219

TORTUREGOD is offline View user's profile Send private message TORTUREGOD's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

where is the guarantee that he will be on in 6 months and your money isnt gone than ???????
vladd
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 256

vladd is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail vladd's Favorites are Private
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be so pessimist, I'm sure they're right.
vladd
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 256

vladd is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail vladd's Favorites are Private
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, an idea : why couldn't pay for being a VIP for a mounth ? 50$ in one time is too much for me for example, but I can pay 4$ per month
USA VileVince
Commander
Commander

Member#: 213

VileVince is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail VileVince's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

If People Pay For VIP Then What About The Mods And Admins. Also The People Who Aren't Mods Or Admins, But Are Pretty High Ranked, Such As Myself And A Couple Other? Do They Pay Too?
DEMONBREED
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 1224

DEMONBREED is offline View user's profile Send private message DEMONBREED's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:18 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I think torture god is right , im sorry for the first time he is!

its unbelievable whats happening here man, plz quit this shit!
TORTUREGOD
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

TORTUREGOD is offline View user's profile Send private message TORTUREGOD's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone answers but where is JERIC?

a little bit strange he isn't reacting on this, or should i say a little arrogance!

I think the whole idea of paying for internet music is dumb, i never did and i never will.SORRY!

but what i see is that the people who r mod or something , they all like the idea of JERIC, so whats the problem is he such a bitch u cant agree with him or whats wrong.

regards
TORTUREGOD
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

just what i told u , it happened take a look at the req list now all same kind of shit from mdb and that shitty doom on DEATH FM

shit this is the end!!!!!!!!!!
overdrive
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 394

overdrive is offline View user's profile Send private message overdrive's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two questions/suggestions.

Overall, I like this plan, especially since I saw you implemented a request timer based on the size of the queue. One thing I initially was worried about was that if enough people became VIPs, you'd have the same problems that caused you to move the request time from 5 min to 10. And, if I paid $50 with the understanding I'd get to request every "X" number of minutes, I'd be a bit miffed to find that time limit changed on me.

First, my question (which I think was asked earlier) is what is the conversion rate for CDs to VIP time? I have a few CDs I wouldn't mind unloading that aren't on the playlist (but are Death metal).

Second, like vladd mentioned, would it be possible to make slightly smaller VIP time-shares (for lack of a better term). I CAN afford $4/month....but from the summit of Mt. Perpetually Broke, $50 purchases aren't something I make lightly.

Oh, torturegod......unless you had another handle before or you've listened for awhile before joining, you've only been here for about four days. Personally, I can't really see what your point is other than you don't like certain groups that are popular among many site users. I've been here a few months and can tell you that.....

Regardless of how the queue is operated, you will have certain times of many days dominated by My Dying Bride and other melodic bands.....or black metal bands.....or brutal death....etc. A number of the users have been here awhile, have certain times they're likely to get on the site and have similar tastes musically as other users on during that time period. Regardless of how long the request time is, if it's the same or different for different users or whatever, you'll have lengthy queues at many times....you not liking the music they're playing makes no difference as to the prosperity or lack thereof this site is experiencing.
Caliburn
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 380

Caliburn is offline View user's profile Send private message Caliburn's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

TORTUREGOD wrote:
everyone answers but where is JERIC?
a little bit strange he isn't reacting on this, or should i say a little arrogance!

I am not JERIC but I am part of the DFM crew. So let me respond

Quote:
I think the whole idea of paying for internet music is dumb, i never did and i never will.SORRY!

This is the stupiest thing I have ever read on this forum. Do you think dat hosting a website, supplying radio streams and the all the CDs in the list are free? This stuff needs to be paid for. Thinking paying for Internet radio is dump sounds... hmmm ... arrogant to me.

Quote:
but what i see is that the people who r mod or something , they all like the idea of JERIC, so whats the problem is he such a bitch u cant agree with him or whats wrong.

We discuss from time to time. He listens to me, but he is the boss, it is his collections, his station, his servers he can do with it what he wants. I am honored that he has asked me to help him. Calling him arrogant and even a bitch.. wow... give me one reason why I should not ban you from this site.

You can request once in 15 minutes as a non-VIP for fuck sake. The VIP system is activated to ensure DFM's future.

JERIC is kind enough to share his collection with you guys and even gives you the opportunity to pick request from his list.
Canada Dark
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:42 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent really looked at the VIP thing yet but if u do have to send money to jeric for the membership it wont bother me much if i miss the oppourtunity and lose the vip, because even still i intend to send a cpl of bucks to jeric when i can, so it really isnt a big deal tourture if u dont like it then dont be a VIP.

This site work on the fact of the ppl listening and donating evry once and a while, the other part i imagine comes from jerics effort... so all im saying it do what u can and enjoy it without complaining about it, dont ruin a possibly good thing or make a bad thing worse.
Canada Dark
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:47 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with caliburn, but another thing is the 15 min request waiting time has been that way for at least 5 mths, so y is torture still on this?
overdrive
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 394

overdrive is offline View user's profile Send private message overdrive's Favorites are Private
AIM Address
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark

Well, he did join Dec. 30....so with his couple days of time here, apparently felt that being "forced" to listen to My Dying Bride and Finntroll songs requested by people able to request songs more frequently than he could request his own tunes was a personal insult to him that would doom the site to imminent failure....

Kind of strange reasoning, if you ask me......
TORTUREGOD
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:10 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

It has nothing to do with paying oney to jeric , it has to do with the simple fact that if u r vip u cab req 6 songs in half an hour and the normal people can 1 in 30 minutes so what was going to happen and im glad jeric changed it , that the guys who like my dying and that kind of music overloaded the queue list with that music and that was something im not expecting on death fm.

and all the stuff that im here since 30 dec last year ok , i registered then, but i listened to it since aug 2005 and i realised that the station is going from death to doom.viking/black metal and i think thats too bad for such a nice quality streaming station.

dont get me wrong im not offending someone, but sometimes the queue list is overloaded with that kind off music and maybe there should be a limiter of requesting some artist in 1 hour or something.

and yes i told before , i can be a real dick and i know thats my problem and if u think u have too ban me , its your choice but i dont see a reason for that, just becoz i called some people some names. dont think so!!!

but lest quit this conversation jeric made it better now than it was before but try to do something with all that req from the same bands in 1 hour, its just an idea..

regards
USA JERIC RIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:04 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Now it's time to answer some questions and concerns. Now would be a good time to grab a beer.

Q. Can we become VIP on monthly or quarterly terms?
A. Not possible at this time. 1 year is the minimum due to technical reasons. For now I am willing to work on the honor system. If you can only afford a few bucks a month, that's fine. Just email me and let me know. I'm not sure how long I will be able to keep the honor system going. That depends on how much honor there is I suppose.

Q. What are CDs worth for obtaining VIP?
A. I would say 3 or so for a year. Just email me first because the CDs have to be approved. Bands sending their stuff in can automatically get VIP with a CD and request to become VIP. I want to instill that Death.FM is a great promotional tool.

Q. What are the advantages of VIP?
A. Shorter request times (currently 3x as much) and the request timer. The request timer (VIP block) is only meant to be seen by VIPs. I am working on removing it from non-VIP view. There may be more benefits in the future.

Q. Why are you doing this VIP thing?
A. The VIP system is meant more to reward contributors to the site. Please keep in mind that I am not accepting cash money in exchange for VIP status. I am accepting Amazon.com Gift Certificates, which are used to purchase music for the station. I do not want to make it appear that I am taking money out of the artists wallet. The money ultimately goes back to the people who create the music this way. I understand we have many international friends so I may accept PayPal donations only for individuals who unable to use Amazon.com.

Q. What about hearing the same stuff over and over from VIP requests?
A. This issue can be addressed separately. Right now there is a lot of MDB being played but I think that it's mostly to piss off a certain individual who loves to bitch and moan about anything and everything to the point that they leave the site forever. Playlist diversity can be addressed in different ways. I've been contemplating not allowing the duplicate artist or albums in the queue. There is a lot of music to choose from. People should feel encouraged to explore new artists in the playlist. This topic should be another thread.

Q. What next? Charge to listen?
A. I already said no. Death.FM is commercial free and plain ole free and will always be. We get most of our help from site advertisements. Please keep that in mind. I have been able to operate another station for 5 years without streams ads or charging to listen.

Q. What guarantee I there that the site will be here in 6 months from now?
A. None. What guarantee is there that PayPal will be? To make you feel more comfortable I've been doing this for 5 years now. Thanks to the StreamingSoundtracks.com community (which has a successful VIP system) we now run off of two dedicated servers. So much time and have been invested into these sites by not only myself but with admins, mods and dedicated members. It's my purpose in life. I hope that people would have confidence in these sites since they are pretty successful and professional. Many other radio stations appear abandoned with no presence of community or management. My sincerest apologies for not responding to an email or forum post within 24 hours, but at least I do when I feel it requires one. The only thing that brings me down is when people bitch and complain about everything so I can waste my time responding to erroneous comments instead of being productive. Constructive criticism is one thing but taking a dump where you eat is another.

Q. What about all the music I don't like on Death.FM?
A. That must suck for you. I play music on here I like or can at least tolerate. This is actually jeric.fm (but where's the marketability in that?). Like I said in the above answer, this is my passion. In order to keep the passion and motivation I actually have to enjoy what I am listening to. That may sound selfish to some but what would you rather me to be driven by? Money? Oh yeah, that's right, we can't do that either. Many thanks goes out to a lot of people who have recommended bands to be included into the playlist. I have learned a lot about new bands and in return so have many of the people listening. I think it is a pretty good system we've got going here. I have added many recommended bands and decided to omit some as well. I have an open mind when it comes to playlist additions and removals but I am not going to change DFM's entire playlist for 1 person or even 1,000. Death.FM is a reflection of MY music taste and if you agree with it stick around and have some fun, if not take your whining ass somewhere else.

Q. Who can become a VIP?
A. Like I said before, VIP is meant to reward contributors of Death.FM. In return we get people who want this place to succeed. It's a win-win for all. VIPs are… band members who send CDs/promo material in, members who send CDs in, contest winners, people who contribute Amazon GCs, personal friends and family of mine, Mods, Admins, and elite members. [We have an elite members area of the forums too that haven't been implemented yet. There will be certain hidden criteria to become elite. I need to work on that soon.] I have also recently decided that I am going to reward everyone that has contributed before the VIP system was implemented with a 1 year VIP subscription. I will work on getting that accomplished soon. The only people who won't be VIPs are the people who feel that it's not worth it. The glass is half full; non-VIP is not a punishment, VIP is a reward. I am also open to suggestions to become VIP. Email me to discuss the possibilities.

Q. Why was the wait time at 30 minutes for non-VIPs?
A. Because the queue was over 4 hours this weekend and something had to be done. Very fortunately, luckily, and with good timing we were able to implement 2 systems since then to control the queue length, VIP (first) and dynamic request wait time. Now the wait time is at 15 minutes so I think the panic has somewhat faded. I think the ratio of 1:3 will be fine for now. This is something that will constantly change as the site grows and evolves. So you might see 30 or 60 in the future.

Thanks for your time and patience on this matter.

Please do not PM me! Use email, feedback or contact us links.

Last edited by JERIC on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: