Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Guitar Guide - Doom and Black Metal

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Afghanistan DOSphantom
Commander
Commander

Member#: 3904

DOSphantom is offline View user's profile Send private message View DOSphantom's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:52 am   Post subject: Guitar Guide - Doom and Black Metal Reply with quote

First off - they're both the same damn thing! Doom holds the note[s] by turning up the distortion till the sustain oscillates in one long ring; BM(lol 'BM') holds the note by alternate/tremolo picking, except on the long break/interlude/whatever-the-fuck where the note is strummed once like in doom, but without the added sustain. Okay, I'm giving old cliched descriptions, but who gives a flying duck to an anatidaephobic.

Effects:
These styles are very distortion heavy, but not 'effect' heavy. In fact, the distortion is either so heavy or the essential atmosphere that most effects will muddle the sound or leave it sounding like a screeching electric mess.
Reverb is usable but shouldn't create a space larger than an average room, especially if reverb is to be added to the final mix or is already being played in an ambient room.
On an amp with lots of overhead and a big speaker, you may want a compressor and a five band equalizer(assuming your amp's eq. isn't sufficient). Though, buying a small amp may be cheaper, unless you already have something like an amp modeler.

Strings and Tuning:
9-set does the job with a medium pick. Continuously gripping and sliding heavy gauge strings will be a bitch when your tracks break twenty minutes a piece.
Standard E works, but you could tune it flat or just slightly below the Western E - this generally does require all the other instruments be tuned to your pitch. Playing your guitar hard and not tuning it for a week or two could help you find that perfect 'off' pitch to tune to.

Distortion:
Just about any distortion could work for the most part, especially with a lo-fi project. Meaning you could get the cheapest one you can find at Guitar Center, but if you're looking for a versatile range, perhaps something "professional", and not a used $5 Dan Electro:
You could go with a fuzz, the most popular being Big Muffs(any make will do). Doom sounds would most likely be on the low-end tone, and BM on the high – dead simple.
Or a workhorse high gain distortion, such as Metal Zone which is the most common and readily available(meaning they're cheap used). These pedals focus more on mid-range control.
Adjusting the intensity mid-song requires a clean(no scratching), broken-in volume pot and a good pickup switch.

My current sound is a bridge pickup into a MT-2 at approx. 12 o'clock Dist. 5 Freq. 5 Mid. 2 Low 9 High, this is for a BM sound, but really it's more of a general metal tone. For the Doom sound I run the MT-2 dialed as aforementioned into a HM-2 with Dist. set at the sweet spot right before it the distortion comes in, H 12, L 3 this creates a very full and heavy sound without going into the bassist or drums range(well possibly, I can't vouch for every band setup), but you may have to bring the guitar volume to two and one to clean up or get control of chords.

Chords:
11ths, suspended, and 6/9s, are a little to happy, carefree, and funky for this style, unless you've got a heavily contrasting section.
Major chords work, but should be played on the heavier strings to keep it from getting all bright and bleachy.
Augmenting chords allows you to play the melody over the fifth, where you have most of the guitars strength in; this can also be done while moving the bass around on repeating chords, creating slash chords and walking bass lines - this helps it seem like your going somewhere with this and keeps it from sounding like a CD that's skipping for eight minutes.
Dimished 9th and minor -9th both use the same simple shape and add a tense unstable feel, anywhere you shove it.
Playing just one of the flattened intervals with the root is sufficient if your chords are lost in the distortion.

Scales and Modes:
The major scale/Ionian mode is very wide open and gives a whole sound, but remember a basic minor(Dorian) is only a major with a flattened 3rd(others with the 6th [Aeolian]), so it's still more than wide enough that you needn't be tempted to go with a major, unless you want a sense of optimism for an epic(or have been listening to that new African folk).
More exotic scales and the other darker modes are not typically as fitting in this style, they can kill the strength and the primitive aspects of the sound. Now if we're play nothing but perfect 5ths - creating a solid feel; then we can apply those exotic scales more liberally, this may windup sounding more like death metal though.

Reality:
Bash on three repeating power cords for ten minutes, while maybe maybe eventual flipping out and sliding a note up and down in an epileptic fit, on one song. Of course rip-off some pop rock songs like Smoke on the Water, but with the treble turned up so high that no one can recognize it in the cacophony.

-

Everything I say is subjective. Take it with a grain of salt.

-

Okay, I was bored. Did you learn anything, or is there anything you'd like to add or say?
Commodore

Member#: 2872

Stuka_Kommandant is offline View user's profile Send private message View Stuka_Kommandant's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:22 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, very informative and detailed description,
but i simply wished for forms sake to point out that
your article doesn't cite its references and sources.
Wink Peace Cool
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 3336

Modos is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Modos's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuka_Kommandant wrote:
Indeed, very informative and detailed description,
but i simply wished for forms sake to point out that
your article doesn't cite its references and sources.
Wink Peace Cool

Stuken check out our good old german Zitter (Zither)

Germany Stuka_Kommandant
Commodore
Commodore

Stuka_Kommandant is offline View user's profile Send private message View Stuka_Kommandant's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Modos, You damned basterd!!! Mad Now i have
a great ZITTER-Delle on my keyboard, coz of
extreme headbanging... btw: ADD this shit!
LOL LOL Wink Peace
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitars for doom is easy... you strum the gui every 9000 note... but u dont wanna go over that, CUZ IT WOUL BE OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111111111111
Germany Stuka_Kommandant
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:44 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:
Guitars for doom is easy... you strum the gui every 9000 note... but u dont wanna go over that, CUZ IT WOUL BE OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111111111111

LOL LOL LOL LMFAO³,
but when he's right, he is right...
Yes OK! Peace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Musicians All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: