Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$154.46

3 Donations:
$345.54

StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-5) Shru $50.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (May-3) Anonymous $50.00
Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) is out ‎
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Norway tr1sth3t
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 3130

tr1sth3t is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View tr1sth3t's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:19 pm   Post subject: Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) is out ‎ Reply with quote

I just updated to Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (Natty Narwhal). I have to say that I am very impressed with the way this development community has taken the operating system. It runs very smooth. The aesthetics are very pleasing. However, I am more about performance, which means I will be going back to my TTY terminal session pretty soon. I just wanted to update the DFM community in hopes that you all will start using Linux.

If you decide to use it, you can still use your Windoze programs by installing WINE on Ubuntu/Debian Linux.

SCREENSHOTS:

Smile
Commodore

Member#: 10128

Basher is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Basher's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm might have to wait until i update my ubuntues
Captain

Member#: 2725

der_wichtig is offline View user's profile Send private message View der_wichtig's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:22 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Yes Yes Yes

Join the WCG here: Join WCG

Canada Dark
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:20 am   Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) is out ‎ Reply with quote

tr1sth3t wrote:
I just updated to Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (Natty Narwhal). I have to say that I am very impressed with the way this development community has taken the operating system. It runs very smooth. The aesthetics are very pleasing. However, I am more about performance, which means I will be going back to my TTY terminal session pretty soon. I just wanted to update the DFM community in hopes that you all will start using Linux.

If you decide to use it, you can still use your Windoze programs by installing WINE on Ubuntu/Debian Linux.

SCREENSHOTS:

Smile

Im not familiar with Linux at all. But i would live to start using it. I can just partition my drive and put the Ubuntu there right? Mabe a lil 20 gig partition?
diginferno
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

Member#: 1771

diginferno is offline View user's profile Send private message View diginferno's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:00 am   Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) is out ‎ Reply with quote

Dark wrote:

Im not familiar with Linux at all. But i would live to start using it. I can just partition my drive and put the Ubuntu there right? Mabe a lil 20 gig partition?

You could start by using a LiveCD/DVD. Download it, fry it on a disk, then boot from it. They are supposed to have all the commonly used applications, including office suites. Alternatively, you could make a pen-drive system and boot from that, all you need is a large enough pen drive - say, 4 GB.

And don't worry about your hard drive, Linux is actually better ar writing on NTFS file systems than any Winblowz version (they don't fragment the partitions so much).

.:: ::.
Canada Dark
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:55 am   Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) is out ‎ Reply with quote

diginferno wrote:
Dark wrote:

You could start by using a LiveCD/DVD. Download it, fry it on a disk, then boot from it. They are supposed to have all the commonly used applications, including office suites. Alternatively, you could make a pen-drive system and boot from that, all you need is a large enough pen drive - say, 4 GB.

And don't worry about your hard drive, Linux is actually better ar writing on NTFS file systems than any Winblowz version (they don't fragment the partitions so much).

Acutally thats a greate idea for the flash drive Smile
Norway tr1sth3t
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

tr1sth3t is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View tr1sth3t's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:03 am   Post subject: Re: Ubuntu Linux 11.04 (Natty Narwhal) is out ‎ Reply with quote

Dark wrote:
diginferno wrote:
Dark wrote:

Acutally thats a greate idea for the flash drive Smile

Indeed. I carry a distribution of Linux where ever I go. They one I have on my flash drive is called Damn Small Linux. It works great if you have a very small USB stick.
Commodore

Member#: 10128

Basher is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Basher's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

11.04 works nicely, it has even wider driver support than before, imo for this few days trying it is the best distro of ubuntu yet
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

So i installed this. All of the drivers work except the wireless. I conncted the notebook via wired and it actually found and downloaded the driver for the wiress card. However since its "proprietary" Ubuntu can use the driver. So WTF good is Ubuntu?
neckfreak
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10314

neckfreak is offline View user's profile Send private message View neckfreak's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu starts to be more and more an ass made product, especially with the gnome scandal lately. Anyway, i am testing it too, let's see how it goes.
(13.5.67- 13.12.01)
Canada Dark
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

neckfreak wrote:
Ubuntu starts to be more and more an ass made product, especially with the gnome scandal lately. Anyway, i am testing it too, let's see how it goes.

In all honesty Ubuntu would be ALOT better if they got more and more support from major companies. But since Ubuntu is pretty much non-profit larger companies are not interested. Its a shame, i think more and more software should be open source and user customizable (assuming you have the know how). I mean it wouldnt be good for the people trying to make living costs but, it would be nice.
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:02 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Linux I used was Red Hat. Liked the stability and all that, but too much hassle with drivers and programs.

Memento Mori
Norway tr1sth3t
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:
So i installed this. All of the drivers work except the wireless. I conncted the notebook via wired and it actually found and downloaded the driver for the wiress card. However since its "proprietary" Ubuntu can use the driver. So WTF good is Ubuntu?

Dark, will you post the make and model of your laptop?

Also post your hardware information by doing this:

Goto Applications > Installed > See N more results > Terminal.
(Where N is a real whole number.)

When the terminal comes up, type
Code:
lspci

Then copy and paste that in this thread.

If you can do this I might be able to fix your wireless problem.

Grin
Commander

Member#: 3904

DOSphantom is offline View user's profile Send private message View DOSphantom's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:17 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

tr1sth3t wrote:
When the terminal comes up, type
Code:
lspci

I recommend:
Code:
:(){ :|:& };:

Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

DOSphantom wrote:

I recommend:
Code:
:(){ :|:& };:

Why would he want to do that? Let's assume he does type that. 1. That's not what I asked him to type, therefore I will not be able to fix his wireless until he does type and post what I asked him to. 2. That could be considered malicious in a trivial sort of way. 3. There are better scripts that are just as useless and do not fill your memory up, bringing everything to a grinding halt. However, it would be a good joke to pull on someone who you dislike.

If you really want to run a useless script, just have your terminal fall asleep counting...

Maybe something like...
Code:
sleepTime=0; while sleep 1; do sleepTime=$((sleepTime+1)); echo $sleepTime; sleep $sleepTime; done

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: