Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

I am still a little stunned...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
thrashmetlmaniac
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 486

thrashmetlmaniac is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website thrashmetlmaniac's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:12 am   Post subject: I am still a little stunned... Reply with quote

I was just watching the tv show criminal minds, and I heard Opeth's Death Whispered a Lullaby being played as part of the sound track for the episode. Im happy for Opeth, but at the same time, I'm am afraid of the implications of a great band like Opeth crossing over to the mainstreem. But still, it makes me smile to know that bands like Opeth are getting some recognition.
GSX1300
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 1352

GSX1300 is offline View user's profile Send private message GSX1300's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Never noticed that before when I watched that show.
Forced_Elimina...
Cadet 3
Cadet 3

Member#: 1952

Forced_Elimination is offline View user's profile Send private message Forced_Elimination's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, shall we define a great band?

Great Bands: Nile, Dying Fetus, Necrophagist, Exhumed, Decapitated, <<< All exellent musicians and VERY creative especially the likes of Necro and Decapitated

Ok, i have heard little opeth, but what i heard i was not impressed with Smile

So fair game to them going commercial
USA JERIC RIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:06 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy as long as they stay heavy and don't lose the hard vocals ever.

Please do not PM me! Use email, feedback or contact us links.
Nevin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 5

Nevin is offline View user's profile Send private message Nevin's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

That IS frightening, they're one of my favorite bands, I'm actually listening to them right now oddly enough.

Once in a while I come across some stranger who shouts, "YEAAAH!! OPETH RULES!!" when they see I'm wearing an Opeth shirt. It's nice to see other people who like the same band, and for the right reasons.

When band's get popular, that changes. If Opeth gets popular and is all over the media, when some guy shouts, "OPETH RULES!!" which will undoubtedly happen much more frequently, he/she could quite possibly know jack shit about Opeth, and just listens to whatever the mainstream metal scene feeds him/her.

JERIC wrote:
I'm happy as long as they stay heavy and don't lose the hard vocals ever.

If they keep going in the direction they have been, they will go soft. Ex. Half of Damnation >.<

It's still good music though, in my opinion.
USA Death_Medic RIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 1099

Death_Medic is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Death_Medic's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats true nevin look at Metallica when I first started listening to them ppl were like oh my god they are satan worshipers (not that there is anything wrong with that) and then ...and justice for all came out and i saw the slow desent of Metallica into they shitty band they are today.
Lieutenant

Nevin is offline View user's profile Send private message Nevin's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Opeth is selling out though, they're just becoming more well-known by potential fans.

I don't see how people calling Metallica satan worshippers has to do with anything, but people always have and always will do that when it comes to anything in the rock genre. Even today, there's some old, wrinkley, ultra-Christian nutjob out there rambling on about how The Rolling Stones wrote music straight from the gates of hell.

The best part is, true satan-worshipping bands do not become popular. People are just too ignorant for words, but everyone whose ever been outdoors knows that Rolling Eyes
Nevin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

booo, thread revival, I just heard Opeth - Windowpane on one of Ted Nugent's reality TV shows.
wreath
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 2098

wreath is offline View user's profile Send private message wreath's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

glad for them they deserve some recognition.the new songs are good too, even though there is a big change from the early opeth stuff(that was great)
Nevin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

wreath wrote:
glad for them they deserve some recognition.

glad for them?
Are you telling me to be glad for them?
Are you saying that you are glad for them?
Ham sandwich glad for them?
Missing a key word in that sentence..

Anyway, they've always had recognition from the fans, they don't need to be on TV for that, let alone MTV.
Jolty
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 299

Jolty is offline View user's profile Send private message Jolty's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:35 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Opeth being played in the mall on two occassions. Mind you, it was in Spencer's Gifts. I also heard some brutal death metal band that I couldn't identify. I don't go in there very often, and when I heard Opeth the first time, it was when I was just walking by.

I also have seen grafitti for Death.FM on three occassions. Smile They were probably all done by the same guy, though.

Edit: The mall (Southcentre mall in Calgary) also sells Opeth and Burzum t-shirts in a store called Murdawg or something. Opeth was surprise, but Burzum shocked the hell out of me.
USA JERIC RIP (subscribed member)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolty wrote:
I also have seen grafitti for Death.FM on three occassions. Smile They were probably all done by the same guy, though.

Woa! You will have to take a picture next time!

Please do not PM me! Use email, feedback or contact us links.
Jolty
Cadet 1
Cadet 1

Member#: 299

Jolty is offline View user's profile Send private message Jolty's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try. I know one of them was cleaned up, and I'm not sure about the other one. Another one is right by where the train goes by, and I'm not sure if my camera is fast enough. But next time I go somewhere, (next weekend, most likely) I'll try to take a picture.
Romania Razyutis
Captain
Captain

Member#: 1588

Razyutis is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Razyutis's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:15 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolty wrote:
But next time I go somewhere, (next weekend, most likely) I'll try to take a picture.

is been 1 month and no photo, you canadians have no word Evil or Very Mad LOL
China cherubian
Captain
Captain

Member#: 1184

cherubian is offline View user's profile Send private message cherubian's Favorites are Private
MSN Messenger ICQ Number
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Opeth is popular! in the metal scene allover the planet i bet there is no one who does not know Opeth. And the metal scene is growing and growing. so imo they already are popular.
but why shouldnt they be? They are great musicians with genial music, so they deserve it more than many others.and actually, who cares about popularity? u should the fuck like a band, and as long as they keep making good music, it is all ok and there aint a problem. short time fans come and go...so dun care about them and be a true fan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Metal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: