Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Best pedal for metal

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Australia cynicavon
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 13957

cynicavon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website cynicavon's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:11 am   Post subject: Best pedal for metal Reply with quote

I have a mate who loves metal and like mine his favorite genre is black metal. He recently broke his old Boss metal zone MT-2 pedal and is interested in buying a new one however he cannot decide what type of pedal he wants. The only information he could tell me was that he wanted something that wasn't as distorted as his metal zone but would still be good for playing metal. He prefers a BOSS pedal but is willing to try other brands.

Could you guys please post your opinions on different sorts of pedals you have used and past experience?
Canada Dark
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:31 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if this was about a drum pedal i could help you.
Guatemala usacmarm
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 4709

usacmarm is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail usacmarm's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

line6 uber metal is good, i love the incorporated noise gate it help a lot, but i think the best way to model the distortion is with an equalizer, not trying differet pedals...
Columbia Azdragar
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10419

Azdragar is offline View user's profile Send private message Azdragar's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:41 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Boss GT8 - Guitar Effects Processer which works pretty good.

There are some good Processors where you can find all in one or at least a blend of a couple of effects in one, like Zoom 505 or some Digitech.

Talking about a single pedal you can try this one out:

EMBRACE MY SOUL
Australia cynicavon
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 13957

cynicavon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website cynicavon's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. I think he is looking into buying another Metal zone if he can't find the sound he is looking for. (Which sadly I do not know :/ )
Ensign

Member#: 4294

bowelrupture is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website bowelrupture's Favorites are Private
Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a MT-2 for some 15 years. What i can say is that it is a very versatile pedal. But you have to know how to set up its sound. I have seen tons of guitarplayers who had this pedal without knowing how to set up the sound properly.
Most of them want to sound as if they are the whole band. Lots of low and lots of high frequencies.
While the guitarsound is in the MIDS.
I set the the double ring knobs for high/low 6/6 and the mids (mid freq) 4 and (mid) 6.
The inner part of the latter knob is defining tone and volume. The definition of pitch, what you are playing, is hugely dependent of the inner part of that setup knob.
Afghanistan DOSphantom
Commander
Commander

Member#: 3904

DOSphantom is offline View user's profile Send private message View DOSphantom's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Line6 is shit, Digitech is crap, Metal Muff is okay.

MT-2 has kind of to thin of an ear bleeding shrill in it's highs, in fact I think that they include the knob so you can cut off all the noise.
Not sure it's the best black metal option, I'm not sure of the exact sound your friend is going for or his setup already, but typically the MT-2 is more of a modern compressed loud chugga-chugga, thud-thud. Definitely more dynamic than the Metalcore, but possibly not the top choice.

You could check out the old HM-2 made famous by those Sweds in the early 90's. Has more of an 80's-90's sound to it that might work.

What sort of amp does he have?

Now if you're working high volume or studio only, or even if your amp has a rather high gain on it or an overdrive. Than you should check out some of Bosses yellow overdrive pedals. There's a couple different series, check them out. They might be perfect.
Even check out the classic orange box. Find a guitar shop that will let you try out pedals, then shop around.
Ensign

Member#: 4294

bowelrupture is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website bowelrupture's Favorites are Private
Skype Name
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:38 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

One advice: If you have a solid state amp at home, use a solid state amp in the shop too!
There is a HUGE difference between solid state, valvestate and full tube amps.
Mexico paco_ordog
Cadet 2
Cadet 2

Member#: 11519

paco_ordog is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View paco_ordog's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

all depends what sound you like, I mean, want to sound classic, modern, analog or digital, metal zone was the most popular pedal last decades of the past century. this time we have a lot posibilities down to our feets. but well its a long topic for talking about, but well, my preference Uber metal by Line 6, 3 kinds of distor+noise supresor= a lot of varities to try, may be here you can get your sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Musicians All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: