Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Is most metal starting to sound the same...get stale?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:03 pm   Post subject: Is most metal starting to sound the same...get stale? Reply with quote

IMO it is, especially DM and BM. The only music that seems to have a breath of life still in it is some of the doom with mixed harsh and clean vocals, take bands like the new Your Tomorrow Alone album or The Prophecy. Just IMO, but having listened to music since the late 60s I've seen plenty of down times like this, the late 70s and most of the 80s being prime examples.

Memento Mori
Canada Dark
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Yip it is. I agree 100%, i listen to electronica music, and other music non-metal related 90% of the time now. Infact i feel bad for DM for wasting money on me for a year. I rarely request anything anymore.
Columbia Azdragar
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10419

Azdragar is offline View user's profile Send private message Azdragar's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:53 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

As the paintings, music and arts in general are kinda copycats from past tendences. Talking about music, metal in particular, you just have derivations and derivations from the main old genres and it's strange to find something new which worths listening to. Here you have the example with the same crap requested all the days cause it's a generic product. If you put a rotten body on the cover and try to splutter on a microphone, then you get a new genre. I'm not surprissed of it, but what really sucks is when the main big bands change their mind and ruin all what they built over the years, cause of the fashion, the money or the politics.
EMBRACE MY SOUL
South Korea misanthrone
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 1992

misanthrone is offline View user's profile Send private message View misanthrone's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:52 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the shoegazer scene, cascadian black metal plus the futuristic sound of bands like BAN..still good stuff out there
Commodore

Member#: 10128

Basher is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Basher's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:07 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Unique bands are rare these days, i think in all of scenes and genres not only metal.

New band which has a new idea is been copied in the blink of an eye. This might be something to do with business, since new stuff is needed and then fastly re-produced and re-created.

As even undeground stuff is popularized in the business sense, that means in the future loads of similar artists...
Lieutenant

Member#: 6196

Razark is offline View user's profile Send private message Razark's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Music en general is beginning to sound the same.
To be honest i think 'pop' and 'rock' are much worse than metal; it have always sounded the same, and that hasn't really changed... well 'pop' is now completely the same and the quallity of what you sometimes are getting forced to hear, is so low it almost makes me cry.

I think it is impossible to make music that I no way sound like something you have heard before, but as long as the artist try to make 'new' music that is fine by me.... the copycats are a no go :P
UK SummoningEtern...
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10717

SummoningEternalNightMCMX is offline View user's profile Send private message SummoningEternalNightMCMX's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:00 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with Razark. With bands turning over albums on a 3-year cycle, progress has pretty much ground to a halt.

As usual most bands follow the tried and true, or amalgamate the old genres into a kind of mushy porridge. A few bands will try to do something new, and probably be vilified as a result.

When you feel depressed about music though, do listen to the new Sigh album, I Have No Idea What It's Called. Those guys are still pushing the envelope.
Captain

Member#: 12876

RipperChris is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View RipperChris's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but there are bands that have different vocals, and guitar works. Most have silmilar riffs, but I agree most do sound the same..
Commodore

aw

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:34 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

RipperChris wrote:
I agree, but there are bands that have different vocals, and guitar works. Most have silmilar riffs, but I agree most do sound the same..

Ripper you live in Mass?
Ireland RipperChris
Captain
Captain

Member#: 12876

RipperChris is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View RipperChris's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:20 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Im from Boston, Mass, but Im in Texas drilling for oil...
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 3336

Modos is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Modos's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:48 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why I am listening to the old school shit. Except for 1-2 genres. The modern Death Metal is very very boring. Same with the most scandinavian BM.
neckfreak
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 10314

neckfreak is offline View user's profile Send private message View neckfreak's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:21 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact i think it's the opposite. Lately i've seen and heard so much new stuff, that makes me headbang during the intros. The thing is that a successful "formula" gets repeated over and over, but check the Australian, Italian and French bands. You'd be amazed of the quantity and quality of reasonably good artists/bands, not only metal of course. Good old rock'n'roll seems to be picking up speed again - check DOOMFOXX for example. I'm going to a show in 2 weeks along with Daily Noise Club, which are pretty good R'n'Rollers too. If r'n'r is doing well, metal will be doing good as well.
(13.5.67- 13.12.01)
Pakistan lunarstrain88 RIP (subscribed member)
Captain
Captain

Member#: 9680

lunarstrain88 is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View lunarstrain88's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:17 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

RipperChris wrote:
Im in Texas drilling for oil...

LOL LOL Cool

by discovering more reserves, guys like you can reduce America's dependency on foreign oil. i wonder if you're a petroleum engineer or something but "drilling for oil" itself sounds awesome in more ways than one OK! Peace
Finland Basher
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10128

Basher is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Basher's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:27 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

neckfreak wrote:
In fact i think it's the opposite. Lately i've seen and heard so much new stuff, that makes me headbang during the intros. The thing is that a successful "formula" gets repeated over and over, but check the Australian, Italian and French bands. You'd be amazed of the quantity and quality of reasonably good artists/bands, not only metal of course. Good old rock'n'roll seems to be picking up speed again - check DOOMFOXX for example. I'm going to a show in 2 weeks along with Daily Noise Club, which are pretty good R'n'Rollers too. If r'n'r is doing well, metal will be doing good as well.

these kind of things are nice to hear, maybe some change to better in future... or somebody starts to copy these..as well Mad
Canada Dark
Commodore
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

lunarstrain88 wrote:
RipperChris wrote:
Im in Texas drilling for oil...

LOL LOL Cool

by discovering more reserves, guys like you can reduce America's dependency on foreign oil. i wonder if you're a petroleum engineer or something but "drilling for oil" itself sounds awesome in more ways than one OK! Peace

Petroleum extraction engineer? LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Metal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: