Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Politics, religion and metal

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:23 pm   Post subject: Politics, religion and metal Reply with quote

I just want to remind you folks that try to avoid the first 2 subjects in the post title that they are what shaped the second wave of black metal in Norway in the early 90s. Metal would not be the same without it.

Open for discussion, but unlike some of you younger folks I have been following this for 20 years. I'd like to see what some of the older Norwegians here that lived through that era have to say.

Memento Mori
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickets. To those of you that think we shouldn't talk about those subjects, they are inextricably entwined. Wink

Memento Mori
Denmark Razark
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 6196

Razark is offline View user's profile Send private message Razark's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, the 90's Norwegian BM was before/at my birth, so I cannot say that I remember that.
Secondly I'm Danish, but hey! I might have something to add anyways!

I agree CJ, politics and religion plays a big part in almost any cultural evolution, if one can use those words.
This includes music (therefor metal), but also mostly any other kind of art. Not to mentiond all the wars it have created too Silly

I believe, that is plays a role for us all, even though we say "I'm not religious", but by saying so, religion plays a part in your life. The same applys for politics.

Personally I do not like the politics of the Danish goverment, aswell as I do not believe that "Christian culture" is a 'true' part of the Danish culture. I would like to see the decommissioning of what we in Denmark knows as "Folkekirken" (The Peoples Church would be a rough translation of it, and it is a goverment funded Christian church for the entire country), since it only make people "forget" the true Danish culture.

If I remember correctly, these emotions and feelings was present during the "creation" of the Norwegian BM in the 90's, so I somehow feel I can relate to this and most importantly, I believe that this topic is still relevant!

Nothing has really changed (in Denmark at least) over the last years (as far as religion and cultural preservation goes), and it makes me sad. People could at least have the courage to discuss such things, but alas, that is far from reality Sad

So what about the 'true' Danish culture? I would say it have been forgotten, or at least it seems like the goverment would like us to forget it, since they do nothing at all to preserve it, and meanwhile trying to forcefed us with this Christian stuff (Well, not as extreme as some other goverments!).

If you take the old Burzum (e.g. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem) then the lyrics for these 'old' songs, are very much still relevant, since they are dealing with exactly these topics!
Mostly they are telling the sad story of the Christian culture eliminating the old and much more 'true' culture
... and these songs kind of make me sad, since that is what is happening at this very moment.

I like the old Danish culture, I really do, and I would sadden my greatly if it was forgotten.

It would therefor be a logical assumption that it was somewhat the same emotions and thoughts that was one of the prime factors for the development of the Norwegian BM in the 90's.

I hope that this was somewhat usefull for you CJ Peace
UK SummoningEtern...
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10717

SummoningEternalNightMCMX is offline View user's profile Send private message SummoningEternalNightMCMX's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

In

Last edited by SummoningEternalNightMCMX on Fri May 11, 2012 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Finland Basher
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10128

Basher is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Basher's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not either Norwegian, but i could tell something what has happened here in late 80's to early 90's.

In those time, a "neo-paganism". It was also curious enough the time of our protestant church had its youth campaign, and got more popular than ever, this created an counter movements and they crew at least as fast as the popularity of church.

Anyways during those days in the northern countries, not only in the norway, ideological music genres started to appear, mostly music filled with angst, anger, hate and other formaly rare subjects to songs. Within this uprising so to speak arose Black metal, Hate metal, Doom metal amongst many others.

This "second" wave what cj mentioned is actually third or fourth wave of black metal that stroke Finland like storm, since we have allways had a big subculture for metal and hard rock, this waves started from the officeal first wave and like a sea that strokes to the bedrock of ours.

The famous church burning and tomb desecration got the satanism and Satan worshipers as well as many paganism group under the magnifier. In our politics the major parties condemned these "acts of faith" and created new stricter laws making all crimes against religions to hate crimes as well, making the sentences longer and harsher.

Also we had many ritual murders, public self sacrificial suicides etc. in here and all of these were first like wiped under the carpet, but in the end the yellow press started to make huge articles about "Satan has landed to Finland" and other ones not worth of mentioning here. This caused our politics go and look a reason for youth feeling so sick that they need to find salvation out side from the society. This was done by improving and inventing many ways, f.e. new facilities for youth, music and band contents new sport arenas, new programs for youth and several other ways to keep our youth busy and not to be depressed.

This of course was bit stupid in that way, that they did all they could to make youth to be busy not to join these movements, but actually goverment was and still is partly financing these associations, and also financing many of our musical bands, f.e. beherit, thy serpent, black swan, catamenia, night wish, sentenced, amorphis... This in the long run actually made the extreme metal genre more popular than ever and actually increased these acts of faith for a while.

Back in those days we still had a good ol soviets at next door, and these events created an diplomatic insidents, and we had to make promises that this kind of sickeness would not spread to there... and eventually it ofcourse did.

In our christian party arose a movement to deny all other religions than christian religions, obviously these kind of stuff went never trough, but it had a great impact to our society and the reflections of that era is still seen in here, religion is private thing now days but still in open discussion with everyone.

From those eras our society crew stronger imo, it started to discuss openly about religion, ideologies even the hardest issues are here possible to open public discussions. Also we learned to respect other cultures, religion and opinions.
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, its nice to hear some points of view on this. Like I said, like it or not, most music, especially metal, involves one or both of those themes.

Memento Mori
Denmark Razark
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 6196

Razark is offline View user's profile Send private message Razark's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome CJ!
I occasionally enjoy discussions like this, since I find the subject rather interesting, but most of the time, you find yourself talking with very close-minded people, and that kinda ruins all the fun.
They simple have a hard time understading that it is possible to have a very clear opinion about something, while being able to listen and understand other peoples point of view, even though you don't agree.

While we are at it, any chance you might share your point of view with us, despite the fact i'm probably one of the few here who doesn't not know it Silly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Metal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: