Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$254.46

1 Donations:
$245.54

Death.FM (May-1) SeclusionSolution $245.54

Last Month's Donors
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-24) klingon50 $10.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Christian black metal?

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Australia cynicavon
Cadet 4
Cadet 4

Member#: 13957

cynicavon is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website cynicavon's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:34 am   Post subject: Christian black metal? Reply with quote

Before I begin I want to make it clear that I am Atheist and I am not interested in anti-religious threads because this is not one of them.

This is by far one of the most controversial topics discussed between metal heads especially us Black metal fans: Christian Black metal, Can it be done? This started when one of my friends (Who is a christian and absolutely loves metal) questioned the chance of their being a Christian Black metal band to which we told him there technically are Christian black metal bands but we immediately started thinking about the subject itself.

Now a bit of research has been happening lately and it is understandable one of the main themes of black metal is Anti-christian themes (That doesn't mean satanic especially those who have a bit of an understanding about the history of BM). Black metal has changed a lot in the passed 20 or so years with some bands choosing to expand and re-invent their sound (Darkthrone for example) and thus focusing on working on their musical style rather than the usual extreme themes and topics. Not really sure where I'm going with this as I lost my train of thought soooooooo.......

What is your opinion on the supposed "Christian" Black metal music?
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:20 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't we discussed this before?

Memento Mori
UK SummoningEtern...
Captain
Captain

Member#: 10717

SummoningEternalNightMCMX is offline View user's profile Send private message SummoningEternalNightMCMX's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:27 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Something was discussed, but I don't recall if it was about Christian Black Metal specifically. I hope this doesn't go the way of that particular thread...

Personally, I don't think Black Metal is compatible with Christianity, since either Satanic or Anti-Religious lyrics are part of what identifies the genre.

You would have to look at Christian Black Metal as a separate genre...but then it wouldn't be Black Metal would it? I admire any bands that try though, just for sheer brass neck.
Commodore

Member#: 10419

Azdragar is offline View user's profile Send private message Azdragar's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:29 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite simple. Black metal is the genre, white metal or unblack Metal is the opposite, so there's no way to "christian metal"
EMBRACE MY SOUL
Finland Basher
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 10128

Basher is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Basher's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

in fact if we are to analyze what is black metal, satanic lyrics are not a must, other pagan religions are accepted to that as well, so why not christianity in that sense as well. Typically it is thought that black metal is opposing the christian believes, but even that is not the case in every case. This is kind of hard ball, since musically genre is quite easy to describe and to specify, but mental state is part of the genres as well.

Mentally black metal is assosiated to grimlores, evilness and choosing on path, typically so called left hand path, in self acknowledgement and salvation/damnation what ever we want to call it. Many Folkish bands has been stigmatized to black metal for their paganick lyrics or anti christian themes, so in the end their music genres has been slashed into folk/black metal. This situation seems to be that, if you make extreme metal and sing about Satan, they will try to fit you to black metal quite easily (been there, done that) even thou you are not making black metal in musical terms.

I would say that musically and technically "un-black" or "white" metals can fit to the black metal genre, but not unnecessarily by mental, spiritual aspects. This similar situation was long time ago when gospel spread, and actually giving the bases of most of the modern, even "satanic" music, those could not be called as "un-spiritual"-gospel either.

Personally i would like to keep White Metal as an sub genre of Black Metal, as is pagan metal, paganic black metal and so on, since they are so closely related. Also in my opinion "un-black" is not a real word anyways.

I do like them both black and white metal amongst many other metal genres, poth of these genres and bands seem to fit in this world....
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:04 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not reading all of these walls of text but i will just say my 2 cents and its reall quite simple.

Christian metal is neither great nor horrible, but it sure as hell isnt making metal any better then it is now. Its just... Meh.
South Korea misanthrone
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 1992

misanthrone is offline View user's profile Send private message View misanthrone's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:33 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

christian black metal = nonsense
Commodore

Member#: 6403

Thor666 is offline View user's profile Send private message Thor666's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:23 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Jvan wrote:
It's quite simple. Black metal is the genre, white metal or unblack Metal is the opposite, so there's no way to "christian metal"

agree with Jvan :wink:
Germany fog
Commander
Commander

Member#: 9170

fog is offline View user's profile Send private message fog's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

christian BLACK metal?! LOL!

i really wonder why those musicians had the strange idea to copy exactly a genre that criticizes their views. just to disfigure it with lyrical bullshit? it's the same with political bands. worst thing is they all even have a growing fanbase.
i wanna puke.

Cadet 2

Member#: 14555

wolfmanhuck is offline View user's profile Send private message View wolfmanhuck's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never call christian music black metal. If they want to call it white metal then fine. Its a joke really. I remember the first time I saw the term white metal I started laughing.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:24 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

fog wrote:
christian BLACK metal?! LOL!

i really wonder why those musicians had the strange idea to copy exactly a genre that criticizes their views. just to disfigure it with lyrical bullshit? it's the same with political bands. worst thing is they all even have a growing fanbase.
i wanna puke.

Simple, to capitalise on BM success. Why would anything be made from anything for any other reason?
Sweden Morkrets_Apostel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 14337

Morkrets_Apostel is offline View user's profile Send private message Morkrets_Apostel's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:13 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

A deepening of this subject is impossible because it would fill the entire forum.

This is what I believe!
If we take Norwegian BM (which is a big influence in all BM)
is originally spun out of Norse mythology and was inspired by the bloody battle between Vikings and Christians in Norway.
they were also of course inspired by earlier heavy metal but was (as we all) seeking a more extreme image
When Varg Vikernes (Burzum) killed Øystein Aarseth (Mayhem) and and during the church fires in norway media helped the genre to be more satanical.
and the genre became and are becoming more and more satanic.

But it has always been about the struggle against Christianity
and that's what makes it impossible to name a genre Christian black metal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Metal All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: