Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Here's one for the old guys

View previous topic :: View next topic 
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:51 am   Post subject: Here's one for the old guys Reply with quote

Peter Goldmark, who in 1948 created the LP record, was inducted into the National Inventor's Hall of Fame.

For you youngsters that didn't grow up listening to records, there is nothing like it. Sure, the cd is so much easier, or music on your mp3 player or computer even easier. But, there are those of us that grew up listening to records, and we still love them. I have my turntable (a Technics direct drive circa 1978) connected to my computer via a preamp, so I can listen to records in my office (or for convenience sake convert them to cd Snicker ). Anyway, I have several hundred, including original pressings of various Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. Also some oddities in there, one some of you would appreciate, called "Black Mass" by Lucifer. The guy was ahead of his time in the early 70s.

Anyway, article about Goldmark:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/DN-LPdateline_29nat.ART.State.Bulldog.433051e.html
Brazil Pesadelo RIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 3090

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Pesadelo's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:31 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ, thanks for the class!

I have a turntable too, but that of mine is a belt drive one. I have kept it (and an old amp) to little by little convert my "black discs" to WAV. Well, I have not much time and so I convert 1 disc avery six months. Mr. Green

I must confess: I had a total adaptation to CD. I think that with the thech advance, the supposed CD dynamic range loss was compensated. So we lost something from vinyl to CD, but we gained on the new amp technologies.

But MP3, iPods, etc, I don't know ... what a poor sound!

Nothing like the drums on the chest... OK!
(Dark, please, don't drop your drums on my chest!)
Germany Dami
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl is great, although I have a very small collection at the moment. My father has some LP's from early Black Sabbath, Kiss and also Deep Purple's Fireball Wink
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
Canada Dark
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 589

Dark is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Dark's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:37 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Even tho im not from that time, records suck. The sound quality is poor, they are large and odd to store in a "safe" place. I have plenty of records and the only thing i use them for is beer coasters so i dont ruin my table. And they are fun as frisbees, thats just about it :P
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:54 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark wrote:
Even tho im not from that time, records suck. The sound quality is poor, they are large and odd to store in a "safe" place. I have plenty of records and the only thing i use them for is beer coasters so i dont ruin my table. And they are fun as frisbees, thats just about it :P

Sound quality is different, not poor. Played on a good turntable, with a good cartridge, and over decent equipment an LP in good shape has a much "warmer" sound than a cd.
Germany Dami
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
Spain zarqun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2916

zarqun is offline View user's profile Send private message zarqun's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:10 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I have loads of LPs Grin
they used to be from my family or from older friends

I have things going from Deep Purple, The Sparks, Rainbow, Marillion, ZZTop, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin to The Beatles, Lou Reed, Elvis and many more

I also have recent records, but most of them are motown, jazz, soul, lounge and (chill, NOT gangsta) hip hop

I agree with cj and dami
the sound is warmer, it almost brings up memories of old times Grin
And to be boy eternal.
South Korea misanthrone
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 1992

misanthrone is offline View user's profile Send private message View misanthrone's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:19 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

my fayher has a huge collection of vinyls.. I used to listen to them when I was just a kid.. I like the sound of it, great, not so synthetic as CD's.. but of course, cd's and dvd's have completely replaced vinyls.. evolution? Snicker
Captain

aw

Member#: 2503

Waffen is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View Waffen's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:08 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

but evolution could easily turn into a revolution. Vinyl is still the preferred choice for many and bands still release things on LP - its not finished yet.
Commodore

aw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Waffen_SS"]but evolution could easily turn into a revolution. Vinyl is still the preferred choice for many and bands still release things on LP - its not finished yet.[/quote]

I just read a few days ago where its actually making a comeback, especially in the UK. In fact some new stores have opened that specialize in vinyl. Its becoming a real collector trend with all the limited releases in various colors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Death.FM Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: