Death.FM
RIP
Subscribe to become a RIP member of Death.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The RIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give RIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

Death.FM Store

:: Death.FM Store ::

Good newz

View previous topic :: View next topic 
South Korea misanthrone
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 1992

misanthrone is offline View user's profile Send private message View misanthrone's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:44 pm   Post subject: Good newz Reply with quote

well, I will start a topic about great stuff that will happen to us in the future..
first, something about our food:

" Your baked potato may not be quite as nutritious by the end of the century, a new study suggests.
As carbon dioxide levels continue to accumulate in the atmosphere due to the use of fossil fuels, the increase could cause a decrease in the nutritional value of many key food crops, says Max Taub of Southwestern University in Texas, who analyzed more than 200 experiments conducted by other researchers.

The experiments looked at the effects of higher levels of the greenhouse gas on the protein amounts in barley, rice, wheat, soybean and potatoes, key food crops, especially in poorer countries, where residents rely on plants for the bulk of the protein in their diet.

Taub's analysis, detailed in the March issue of the journal Global Change Biology, found that when grown in elevated carbon dioxide levels, potatoes showed almost a 14 percent decrease in protein. Protein concentrations decreased by more than 15 percent in barley and almost 10 percent in wheat and rice. Soybeans had the smallest protein reduction at 1.4 percent.

"This is just one more example of the impact global changes could have on us," Taub said.

As carbon dioxide levels rise in the atmosphere, most plants accumulate more carbon in their tissues, Taub explained, which can reduce concentrations of other elements, such as nitrogen, a key component of proteins.

Taub says that the decrease in nitrogen could be partially overcome by using fertilizers that contain nitrogen, but that these can have negative environmental consequences of their own, particularly for nearby waterways. Another option would be to breed strains of grains that have higher protein concentrations under elevated carbon dioxide levels, he said."
isn't this great? Smile
Commodore

Member#: 87

Dami is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Dami's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun.
This is Schäuble. Copy Schäuble into your signature to help him on his way to Überwachungsstaat.
Brazil Pesadelo RIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

aw

Member#: 3090

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Pesadelo's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this Taub is a partner on a fertilizer factory Grin
USA Death_Medic RIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 1099

Death_Medic is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Death_Medic's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:46 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes no sense!!!! Carbon Dioxide is what plants "breathe" and they "exhale" Oxygen. Higher amounts of CO2 would make the plants grow bigger and better! This guy is full of shit and a complete moron!!!!! I hope canadain officals get their money back they provided him with to experiment!!

I use CO2 for my "secret" garden and the higher levels of CO2 make the plants go crazy ( the normal amount of CO2 in the air is about 2% I up it to 14 % with compressed CO2).
Before I used CO2 my plants didn't fill out as much after I used it it made them bigger and thicker. Maybe he meant Carbon Monoxide thats the bad one.
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:51 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe he's just a tool of the algore. Mad

Memento Mori
USA Hatchel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 4491

Hatchel is offline View user's profile Send private message Hatchel's Favorites are Private
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:03 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

\m/ fuck yeah, the garden goods D_M, how do you control the smell though.

Spain zarqun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2916

zarqun is offline View user's profile Send private message zarqun's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:13 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@D_M: it depends
if a plant is under continous (very) high CO2 levels, then it will also have negative effects. A plant breathes in 2 ways.
it breathes like us: using O2
but it also breathes the other way: fotosynthesis I and fotosynthesis II
there CO2 is used and O2 released

if you compare both cycles, then there's more CO2 used than there's CO2 released, which leads to the common known fact that plants use CO2 and release O2 => O2-producers.
but if CO2 (and/or CO) levels are too high, then the CO2->O2 cycle won't be able to catch up. this leads to CO2-(bio)accumulation in the plants. Offcourse this isn't as bad as this guy wants us to believe.
it takes a lot to get this far. And once this process will have greater effects on the fauna (which offcourse includes humanity) it will already be too late Very Happy

one more thing: if you look at the total CO2-emission in the world (natural and human causes) and the total CO2-emission caused by humans, then the human caused emission is only 0,3% of the total emission (seen over longer periods like (half) a century.
even with higher emissions the last decades, human caused emissions won't be a lot more significant.

humans just want to be important, they want to have a huge influence on global warming. our ego needs us to believe that Very Happy

the main reason I'm pro-"climate efforts" is for human health. When the guidelines can diminish concentrations of agentia with negative effects, then it is a good guideline....
And to be boy eternal.
South Korea misanthrone
Commodore
Commodore

Member#: 1992

misanthrone is offline View user's profile Send private message View misanthrone's Favorites
MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks zarqun, I was prepared with a detailed answer to D_M as I'm a chemist and I pretend at least to know something about this.. but your answer is complete I'd say.. congrats.. are U a chemist?
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 2916

zarqun is offline View user's profile Send private message zarqun's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:54 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

biochemist in general
but I also see specifications in chemical processes and
environmental surveys (environmental management systems, environmental law, environmental (policy) plan and environmental health)

I don't like those environmental stuff that much, it's just part of my program. but they do help to form yourself a wider opinion.
I love biochemics the most, and mostly microbiology, immunology and virology. But molecular cell biology is also very interesting...

you can see it like the common "rat joke" that a lot of biochemists know:
little rat: "I don't want to eat my food, I don't want to go to school"
daddy rat: "shut up and do as you're told, if you eat what you get and if you study hard, then later you might become as succesful as me and work in a lab!"

*smirking* Grin
And to be boy eternal.
Liberia cjjeepercreeper
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 2665

cjjeepercreeper is offline View user's profile Send private message cjjeepercreeper's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:39 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all that damn soccer player Beckham's fault!!!!!! LOL

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7712508

Memento Mori
USA Death_Medic RIP (subscribed member)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 1099

Death_Medic is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail View Death_Medic's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:00 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Hatchel I don't worry about that because I don't have anyone over at my house other then close friends and family. But if you want to really control the smell you can get a can filter with activated charcoal and that will get rid of the smell or you can buy an ionic breeze or build an ozone maker (really easy but dangerous).

@ Zarquin I thought about that after I posted because the same thing happens with humans if you breathe to much O2 in its just as bad as not enough. (like running a non-rebreather mask at 15 lpm for a long time on a healthy human.)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: